Swapping Clerk Computers

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
RichPhillips

Swapping Clerk Computers

Post by RichPhillips »

Just had one unit dissolved at a location that has another unit in the meetinghouse. The unit being dissolved has a newer ( 2 years), and faster computer than the unit that remains.
As the STS, I have been asked to dispose of the surplus computer.

Are there any pitfalls in swapping the newer clerk computer for the older computer and then disposing of the older one?

What steps would you recommend to follow in making this change?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Swapping Clerk Computers

Post by lajackson »

RichPhillips wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:37 am Are there any pitfalls in swapping the newer clerk computer for the older computer and then disposing of the older one?
That is what I would do.

Before you do anything, you will want to make sure the stake keeps a good copy of the latest MLS backup for the discontinued unit that was on the newer computer.

One simple way to make the change would be:

Add the continuing unit to the newer computer.
Add the continuing unit as an MLS user in MLS.
Delete the discontinued unit from MLS, leaving only the new unit.
Delete the Windows account on the computer that the discontinued unit was using.
Rename the newer computer using their unit number and replacing the unit number of the discontinued unit.

Another way to make the change would be to make copies of everything on the older computer, including the MLS backup, as if you were going to upgrade the unit normally.

Clean most of the newer computer.

Download the provisioning tool from the Church website and reprovision the newer computer as if it were going to be the new replacement computer.

Follow the usual steps of restoring the MLS backup and activating the new computer for the continuing unit.

A final consideration is whether or not to even leave MLS installed on the newer computer. If you do not, be sure to keep a copy of the latest MLS back up for that unit, as well as the discontinued unit.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

From posts on the forum, it sounds like MLS is dead. I'd keep backups, but it's possible the new(er) unit won't be using MLS at all.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
danpass

Post by danpass »

Another thing you should do is to notify your FM group that you are doing this and give them the serial number of the computer that will be retired and the serial number of the computer assigned to the continuing unit. I know our FM keeps track of this.
RichPhillips

Post by RichPhillips »

Thanks to all who responded.

After talking to the remaining unit clerk, the unit wants to keep the old computer and printer. But will take the larger 20 inch monitor. They are willing to wait for a computer replacement that may come as early as mid-2023. Makes it simpler for me. Maybe by then, MLS will be fully replaced by LCR.

Return to “Clerk Computers”