Merging Notes and Links

Any discussions around the Gospel Library App on various mobile and electronic devices.
rcwso

Merging Notes and Links

Post by rcwso »

Is there a way to merge notes with links? I notice that on some of the notes I have made the link is included that I created. I notice on others that they are not. On the right side of the page (using the app) it will show the “note” icon and the “link” icon. Other times it only shows the “note” icon and then when I click on the “note” icon it opens on the right side and shows the linked scripture. This also is true for some of my notebook entries.

How can I make it only one “note” with the links showing inside the note? I cannot seem to find the pattern I use to make that happen versus having them separated.

Thanks.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Merging Notes and Links

Post by sbradshaw »

It sounds like you're creating two highlights on top of each other, one with a note, and another with a link. Instead, you'll want to create one highlight with both a note and a link:

1. Select the text you want to annotate.
2. Add a note to that text.
3. Tap on the highlight that was created (don't long-press on the highlight; that would create a new selection with a new annotation on top of the other one – just a single tap will select the existing highlight.
4. Add a link.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
rcwso

Post by rcwso »

I’ll give it a shot when I use it in the next day or so.
demares16

Post by demares16 »

I have a similar question that may or may not be related. I love using the notebooks on churchofjesuschrist.org but I would like to combine highlighted notes into one big note. I have noticed that every time I highlight something I like, I am able to choose a note book to place it in but it creates a whole different note and I want to add it to a previous note in that same notebook. It would be easy for me just to copy and paste it into the note book I want but then it does not have a link to click to go directly to the scripture or whatever I copied.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

demares16 wrote:I have a similar question that may or may not be related. I love using the notebooks on churchofjesuschrist.org but I would like to combine highlighted notes into one big note. I have noticed that every time I highlight something I like, I am able to choose a note book to place it in but it creates a whole different note and I want to add it to a previous note in that same notebook. It would be easy for me just to copy and paste it into the note book I want but then it does not have a link to click to go directly to the scripture or whatever I copied.
Copy/pasting is the only way to combine text from multiple notes into a single note.

There isn't a way for a single annotation/note to have more than one highlight attached to it, so if there are multiple highlights and you want a note on each one, they need to be separate notes.
kholt78@msn.com

Post by kholt78@msn.com »

sbradshaw wrote:
demares16 wrote:I have a similar question that may or may not be related. I love using the notebooks on churchofjesuschrist.org but I would like to combine highlighted notes into one big note. I have noticed that every time I highlight something I like, I am able to choose a note book to place it in but it creates a whole different note and I want to add it to a previous note in that same notebook. It would be easy for me just to copy and paste it into the note book I want but then it does not have a link to click to go directly to the scripture or whatever I copied.
Copy/pasting is the only way to combine text from multiple notes into a single note.

There isn't a way for a single annotation/note to have more than one highlight attached to it, so if there are multiple highlights and you want a note on each one, they need to be separate notes.
So, if I understand what you are saying: Suppose I want to highlight three verses, but skipping the two in between, say, verses 3, 4, and 7. If I use your method, I end up with two notes. One for verses 3 and 4, as I can highlight those, and one for 7 separately. I'd like to highlight them once, and add one note, but you are telling that is not possible. :cry: Can you comment?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

kholt78@msn.com wrote:
sbradshaw wrote:

So, if I understand what you are saying: Suppose I want to highlight three verses, but skipping the two in between, say, verses 3, 4, and 7. If I use your method, I end up with two notes. One for verses 3 and 4, as I can highlight those, and one for 7 separately. I'd like to highlight them once, and add one note, but you are telling that is not possible. :cry: Can you comment?
Correct, it's not currently possible. If it were me, I'd highlight the whole thing (3–7) and in the note, say something about which parts of the highlight are relevant – OR, create two separate highlights, and in the note on the first highlight, mention that verse 7 is also relevant (not adding a separate note on verse 7's highlight).

I'm curious if you know of any other apps where it's possible for multiple highlights to be connected together into a single annotation – it'd be interesting to see how they implement highlighting and notes.
wendell

Post by wendell »

Couldn't it be done like the links in "Come Follow Me"? There are links that have multiple scriptures like this example for Matthew 27:34, 48. The link is
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/scriptures/nt/matt/27?lang=eng&id=34%2C48#p34
You could multi-select scriptures using the Ctrl key. Just a thought.

Return to “Gospel Library”