Study Set Feature Coming to App?

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Gospel Library application.
dthomaswright

Study Set Feature Coming to App?

Post by dthomaswright »

While studying scriptures on churchofjesuschrist.org, a college pointed out to me that there is an option to have a study set for your markings to be saved to, sounds like a new set of scriptures for studying. This is an awesome feature for lots of reasons, one being how some of us would use it in teaching students in class how to use the gospel library and hiding our markings as teachers so it doesn't influence their experience. I know there are other work arounds which I am using, but I loved the idea of study set. Is this coming to the app anytime soon???? I hope so. ...
artolivas84

Re: Study Set Feature Coming to App?

Post by artolivas84 »

Sorry I don’t have an answer, but am interested in the workarounds you mentioned in your post! Do you mind sharing?
dthomaswright

Re: Study Set Feature Coming to App?

Post by dthomaswright »

artolivas84 wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 2:47 pm Sorry I don’t have an answer, but am interested in the workarounds you mentioned in your post! Do you mind sharing?
Happy to share, nothing too fancy. These are some of the ways myself of co-workers have used this in the seminary classroom as far as a work around:
* A co-worker created a non-member account and signed into that on their ipad and that is a teaching account for him.
* I display the gospel library from my web browser on my laptop onto the screen and use the study sets (only have done this once, I didn't love it)
* Connect a students phone to the screen and ask them to be the guide of the day and I'll instruct them as they go how to mark and allow them to add their own personalizations. This is fun because we get to see how a teenager would do it, even down to including emoji's in their notes and tags. It changed a way I have started using tags also to include emoji's or symbols.
One disadvantage to this is its hard to tell where exactly the student clicked, so I have to be more obvious in my instruction and point or use a laser on the screen.

Since the time I posted this I have worried less about my students seeing my notes and markings, I believe it sets an example for them on what their digital scriptures can do. That being said, because I teach 5 classes a day sometimes I will mark things in one class, delete it before the next class and re-do it the next hour.

My favorite tool to help students learn how to mark digital scriptures has been using a keyboard I have with my iPad that includes a trackpad/mouse and then I have made the cursor with a red circle so students watch where I click and can follow along easier.

If some of this doesn't make sense, feel free to comment and ask for clarification or give suggestions. Thank you!

Return to “iPhone/iPad Gospel Library”