SOLUTION: LDS directory services are unavailable

Discussions around the Android version of the Member Tools application
BrianEdwards

Re: SOLUTION: LDS directory services are unavailable

Post by BrianEdwards »

However, I think I may have found the reason: Google Play Services
Have you tried installing Google Play, and verified it then works? You should be able to do this and then uninstall Google Play to get back to your desired phone configuration. I'm just not sure that the conclusion that the Church is relying on "Google spyware" ;) is valid, that could simply be a symptom of a different underlying issue. Or maybe this indeed is the case, but it would be good for somebody experiencing this issue to test it out.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I would suspect the issue is that Google Play installs some dependent communication services that both it and Member Tools needs. The question is what are those services and can they be installed without installing Google Play?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Apps need Google Play Services for things like maps, notifications, connecting to Chromecast, using the Share menu, making phone calls, etc. I don't know specifically what Member Tools uses Google Play Services for, but I'm sure the in-app maps require it as a minimum. Most Android apps rely on Google Play Services – it's part of the Android ecosystem. Devices without Google Play, like Kindle Fire or Huawei devices, have replacements for Google Play Services that fill the same role.

See https://www.androidauthority.com/google-play-services-1094356/
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
ImAmyzing

Re: NOT RESOLVED: LDS directory services are unavailable

Post by ImAmyzing »

Hi,
Is there a solution to this error message for ANDROID phones? I've tried the following:
- uninstalling & reinstalling Member tools
- Allowing all permission for this app
- checking the login & password is correct
- Updating Google Play Store (App confirmed it was all up to date)
- checking the same login on another android phone and on a computer - it works there
- checking the Android version - this is Android Version 10

Please CLEARLY POST THE SOLUTION to error message "Member Tools Services are unavailable. Please try again later."
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: NOT RESOLVED: LDS directory services are unavailable

Post by lajackson »

ImAmyzing wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:53 am Please CLEARLY POST THE SOLUTION to error message "Member Tools Services are unavailable. Please try again later."
The way I read the message, it means that the Member Tools server is not available, and that you should try again at a later time. I do not believe there is anything any of us can do to make the Member Tools server come back online. I think someone at Church headquarters has to reboot the server or do whatever it takes to get it up and running again.

On the other hand, this is a user-to-user forum where we share ideas based on our experiences. The person who reboots the server probably never sees this topic. So sometimes it is worth the effort to send feedback, usually through the app, to let the powers that be know there is a problem.
agoddess

Post by agoddess »

Hi lajackson,
It doesn't seem to be the server, as I'm able to access it on my android phone or on the computer, but can't on my daughter's android phone. There appears to be a problem with android connecting, a setting, or something?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

agoddess wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:24 pm but can't on my daughter's android phone.
What version of tools is she running? The current version requires Android 6 and up. Older versions of tools may not be supported.

Also, do you have any kind of filter or "safe internet" app installed?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

agoddess wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:24 pm I'm able to access it on my android phone or on the computer, but can't on my daughter's android phone.
You might try exploring the differences between your phone and the phone your daughter is using. In the post immediately before this one, Russellhltn has suggested two things that might affect her ability to connect.

Return to “Android Member Tools App”