MLS Access Still Needed for Computer Replacement?

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
johnsonjeric

MLS Access Still Needed for Computer Replacement?

Post by johnsonjeric »

I have some computers to replace and a new branch to setup on one of the new computers. The ward has a new clerk and bishopric and none of them know an MLS password since they never use MLS. Do we still need to connect to MLS to reset the security token or can we just ignore MLS since it is no longer used?

If I need to gain access to MLS, does anyone know how to recover a password?

Thanks,
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: MLS Access Still Needed for Computer Replacement?

Post by lajackson »

johnsonjeric wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:17 pm Do we still need to connect to MLS to reset the security token or can we just ignore MLS since it is no longer used?
Some wards and branches have not used MLS in over a year. It seems from other posts here at the Forum that MLS will no longer connect to the Church servers.

Based on that, I would not install MLS on the new computers.

Just to be certain, as the STS you might wish to call the Global Services Department and see if they concur, since I have not seen anything official on the demise of MLS.

The next time I have a computer to replace in my stake, I plan to make the same phone call if there have been no additional instructions from Church headquarters. Perhaps if enough of us call, they might put out something official. If you call, it would be kind of you to let us know what the GSD says.
johnsonjeric wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:17 pm If I need to gain access to MLS, does anyone know how to recover a password?
The Global Services Department use to give a one-time password to the bishop under these circumstances.
johnsonjeric

Post by johnsonjeric »

lajackson wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:19 pm The next time I have a computer to replace in my stake, I plan to make the same phone call if there have been no additional instructions from Church headquarters. Perhaps if enough of us call, they might put out something official. If you call, it would be kind of you to let us know what the GSD says.
I'll definitely call and check with them and post back what I find. Thanks!
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

johnsonjeric wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:17 pm I have some computers to replace and a new branch to setup on one of the new computers. The ward has a new clerk and bishopric and none of them know an MLS password since they never use MLS. Do we still need to connect to MLS to reset the security token or can we just ignore MLS since it is no longer used?

If I need to gain access to MLS, does anyone know how to recover a password?

Thanks,
MLS, in my ward, is still functional. To ensure it is still working, I run it once or twice a month to keep it up to date. Last evening was the latest time I successfully did this. Whilst MLS is largely redundant it could be useful when LCR is unavailable for tithing donations, especially on a Sunday, although these days there is a bit more flexibility about recording donations in the event of an LCR outage!

I personally think this decision, whether to install MLS, should be made by the Bishop and/or the Stake President.

Stating the obvious, if the MLS installation is for a brand new ward/branch, then they will be able to create their own passwords.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

Biggles wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 12:41 am Stating the obvious, if the MLS installation is for a brand new ward/branch, then they will be able to create their own passwords.
If it is for a new ward/branch they won't be able to get the members in the unit when they try to sync with CHQ. I'm not even sure if it will work correctly without the membership sync part working.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I installed a new clerk PC last Friday. The provisioning tool installed MLS for me. On Sunday, I asked the finance clerk to start MLS, restore the latest MLS backup file, and do a send/receive.

The send/receive popped up an error message I have never seen before -- something about please contact your stake clerk for details. However, it appeared to work as far as I could see. I think another message said MLS had requested a finance download.

That's as far as we got. I told the clerk to make another MLS backup and exit. But we may never use MLS again. We'll see what happens next time we try to use it.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
johnsonjeric

Post by johnsonjeric »

lajackson wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:19 pm If you call, it would be kind of you to let us know what the GSD says.
Talked with the GSD today. The official answer is if your unit is in the USA, MLS is not longer needed for any reason and can be ignored on new computer installs. Thanks everyone for your input!
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

johnsonjeric wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 2:16 pm Talked with the GSD today. The official answer is if your unit is in the USA, MLS is not longer needed for any reason and can be ignored on new computer installs. Thanks everyone for your input!
Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like someone at CHQ needs to greatly simplify the provisioning tool.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
derrickfulkerson

Post by derrickfulkerson »

johnsonjeric wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 2:16 pm
lajackson wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 9:19 pm If you call, it would be kind of you to let us know what the GSD says.
Talked with the GSD today. The official answer is if your unit is in the USA, MLS is not longer needed for any reason and can be ignored on new computer installs. Thanks everyone for your input!
Thanks for this. Just did a replacement for the first time in a while and the provisioning tool did not install MLS. I ran it again thinking it didn't run properly. Makes sense that it is no longer needed!
cnunezv

Post by cnunezv »

Hi brothers!

I'm located in Mexico, and we still use MLS, we got a new computer for a ward, and we ran the Windows Post Install to enroll the computer to the church systems.
But the problem is that we need to have MLS installed here and we don't see it, and the tool that did the configuration of the computer didn't install MLS. So, what can I do to install it?

Return to “Clerk Computers”