Joseph Smith Translation

Any discussions around the Gospel Library App on various mobile and electronic devices.
dabgpdjnjs

Joseph Smith Translation

Post by dabgpdjnjs »

How about the ability to turn on/off Joseph smith translation so you can read it without having to look in footnotes?
Falasha

Re: Joseph Smith Translation

Post by Falasha »

The second question I would ask is when will the Gospel Library app include the complete JST? For example last year when we were studying the New Testament in sunday school the topic of justification by faith came up and the teacher kept bringing up works, and the "false idea" of faith alone. Then I pointed out that Joseph Smith added in the JST that we are saved by "faith alone" in Romans 3:28 which was in line with Martin Luther, and the class did not like it. Everyone went to their JST on their devices and said - "No he didn't" It was a bit embarrassing for me, since I couldn't point them to centerplace.org or scriptures.byu.edu to get the complete JST.
kellymab

Post by kellymab »

If I remember correctly, the full JST copyright is held by the Community of Christ Church. Emma had kept the manuscript and gave it to them. Unless they allow us to permission to print it in our copies of the scriptures, it is highly unlikely to happen.

The resources you listed are great for comparison. Years ago The church/BYU worked with the CofCC historians to preserve the entire text. While in print and available to buy, it is on the expensive side of books (at least the last time I checked).
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

From what I understand, the copyright for the Joseph Smith Translation is held by the Community of Christ (previously Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints), though the copyright may have expired by now.

Another thing that comes to mind, is that the Joseph Smith Translation isn't just a translation – it's an inspired expansion and commentary. For example, the book of Moses in the Pearl of Great Price is an excerpt from the Joseph Smith Translation, and wouldn't really fit inline with the King James Version. Those longer passages contain so much content, unique from the original Bible, and it's easier to study them separately.

EDIT: kellymab beat me to my first paragraph. :)
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
Drocksplanet24

Post by Drocksplanet24 »

Selections from the Joseph Smith Translation of the Bible

Following are selected portions of the Joseph Smith Translation of the King James Version of the Bible (JST). The Lord inspired the Prophet Joseph Smith to restore truths to the King James Bible text that had become lost or changed since the original words were written. These restored truths clarified doctrine and improved scriptural understanding.
Because the Lord revealed to Joseph certain truths that the original authors had once recorded, the Joseph Smith Translation is unlike any other Bible translation in the world. In this sense, the word translation is used in a broader and different way than usual, for Joseph’s translation was more revelation than literal translation from one language into another.
Joseph Smith’s translation of the King James Bible has connections with or is mentioned in several sections of the Doctrine and Covenants (see sections 37, 45, 73, 76, 77, 86, 91, and 132). Also, the book of Moses and Joseph Smith—Matthew are excerpts from the Joseph Smith Translation.
For more information about the Joseph Smith Translation, see “Joseph Smith Translation (JST)” in the Bible Dictionary.
The following illustration shows a sample selection from the Joseph Smith Translation:

JST, Matthew 4:1, 5–6, 8–9. Compare Matthew 4:1, 5–6, 8–9; similar changes were made in Luke 4:2, 5–11
Jesus is led by the Spirit, not by Satan.

1 Then Jesus was led up of the Spirit, into the wilderness, to be with God.
5 Then Jesus was taken up into the holy city, and the Spirit setteth him on the pinnacle of the temple.
6 Then the devil came unto him and said, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down, for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee, and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone.
8 And again, Jesus was in the Spirit, and it taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and showeth him all the kingdoms of the world and the glory of them.
9 And the devil came unto him again, and said, All these things will I give unto thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me.

This reference in bold type is the passage in Joseph Smith’s translation of the King James Bible. Because his translation restored words to the Bible text, the verse numbers may differ from the edition you are using.
This cross-reference indicates the passage in your Bible you should compare to Joseph Smith’s translation.
This statement explains what doctrine Joseph Smith clarified with his translation.
This is the text as Joseph Smith translated it. (Italics have been added to show differences from the King James Version wording.)

© 2013 by Intellectual Reserve, Inc. All rights reserved. Source: 2015/03/24

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... ranslation
gmillar

Post by gmillar »

The full version is here on a CoCC website. I wish we had the whole thing as well. It would be nice to have a feature where if you had your phone or tablet sideways you could have both the full JST and the KJV next to each other to
compare. This is possible on tablets if you look at the browser on 1/2 the screen at the link below and Gospel Library on the other 1/2 of the screen. http://www.centerplace.org/hs/iv/default.htm

Return to “Gospel Library”