Humanitarian aid donation in honor of a deceased person

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
davesudweeks

Humanitarian aid donation in honor of a deceased person

Post by davesudweeks »

A member of my ward posed this question to the bishop and he referred them to me:
"A friend has passed away and they asked for donations to the Humanitarian Aid fund of the church in their honor in lieu of flowers, etc. How do I do that?" The member knows they can donate to the fund, but would like to specify the donation is in honor of another individual (similar to donating to a specific ward missionary's account).

I suggested they send an email to online donations support, describe what they would like to do, and ask for advice. Not sure if that was the best advice but I couldn't find anything in the forum in a quick search while I had them on the phone.
eblood66

Re: Humanitarian aid donation in honor of a deceased person

Post by eblood66 »

I don't imagine the church has any way of doing that. For missionaries it's important to track the amount donated towards each missionaries commitment. But the same isn't true for donations to the humanitarian fund. So I don't think they'd have any way to marking a donation in that way. I think they should probably just donate to the fund and maybe send a note to the family to let them know that a donation was made.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I haven't heard of any way to mark a donation except for missionaries - and they have subaccounts. But I admit, it does sound like a good idea to encourage donations. I have seen other non-profits do that.
eblood66 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 9:02 pm I think they should probably just donate to the fund and maybe send a note to the family to let them know that a donation was made.
I think this is going to be the answer.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

If you use online Donations to pay, I do not believe there is a way to mark the donation in honor of an individual. However, if you go to the Philanthropies page and click on the Give to Humanitarian button, You will be able to donate there to the Humanitarian Aid Fund and you will be able to specify that the donation is in honor of or in memory of someone.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

Thanks for the tip. I have passed this thread on to the member for their information.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”