Name removed while living - temple work possible?

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
killywell

Name removed while living - temple work possible?

Post by killywell »

Our brother had his name removed from the records of the church while he was living.

He is now deceased and our parents want to do temple work for him.

When they attempt to do this, will they be able to see that his name was removed? Will they still be allowed to do this work?

Does the church have any policy or advice on this type of temple work?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Name removed while living - temple work possible?

Post by russellhltn »

General Handbook 28.3.5:
Persons Whose Church Membership Was Withdrawn or Who Resigned Membership
If persons either had their Church membership withdrawn or had resigned membership before they died, First Presidency approval is required before temple ordinances, including restoration of blessings when applicable, can be performed for them. A family member may seek this approval in a letter to the Office of the First Presidency after one year has passed since the person’s death. The letter should explain the circumstances. No form is required. The bishop or stake president may assist with this request as needed.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
killywell

Post by killywell »

Thanks for your quick response!

Will membership records indicate his status when they request permission? At present they do not know about his name removal - he chose not to share it with them while he was alive because he knew it would cause them pain.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

killywell wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 9:17 pm Will membership records indicate his status when they request permission? At present they do not know about his name removal - he chose not to share it with them while he was alive because he knew it would cause them pain.
I'm not sure. What they'd likely find is no record of the ordinances they would expect to see, such as his baptism. If they did find/match a record, then perhaps they'd know. As long as he has been deceased for a year, I'd go ahead and try to add him to your tree, search for duplicates and see what happens.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

FamilySearch systems will not allow them to request the ordinances because of the membership record status. If I understand the process correctly, they will be directed to contact FamilySearch for assistance without specific details of what is going on. I'm not sure what happens from there.

The fact that they are going to need to request approval from the First Presidency makes it likely that they are going to discover what has happened unless you work through that request without involving them.
killywell

Post by killywell »

Okay I think I understand - the system itself will prevent it.

He died one month ago and they planned to do ordinances in June.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

killywell wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:31 am He died one month ago and they planned to do ordinances in June.
FamilySearch will not allow any proxy work until a year after death. That's global, not because of this situation.

So they're going to have to wait until April or so.

scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

russellhltn wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 1:01 am FamilySearch will not allow any proxy work until a year after death. That's global, not because of this situation.
The policy has changed. See General Handbook 28.1:
Except as noted in 28.3, proxy ordinances may be performed for all deceased persons as soon as 30 days have passed from their date of death if either of the following applies:
  • A close relative of the deceased (undivorced spouse, adult child, parent, or sibling) submits the name for temple ordinances.
  • Permission to perform the ordinances is received from a close relative of the deceased (undivorced spouse, adult child, parent, or sibling).
Unfortunately, the circumstances in 28.3.5 are applicable. Since your brother resigned his membership, they will need to wait until at least one year after his death and request First Presidency approval prior to completing the ordinances. I don't think there is any way you're going to get through this without having an unpleasant conversation with your parents to explain the circumstances.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

To the OP: If it helps, one of my adult sons resigned his church membership a few years ago. While deeply disappointed, we respect his agency and love him anyway. Through fasting and prayer and relying on our Savior who heals all wounds, I think your parents will work through it OK.

Return to “Family History”