Teradek now not approved for use?

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
jsorens6

Teradek now not approved for use?

Post by jsorens6 »

We have had a consistent audio quality issue using the chapel audio broadcast through the Vidiu teradek unit. I've come up with a small workaround to mitigate the issue, but recently tried to have it addressed again and received this response:

Thank you for the FIR. We had this looked at and they let us know that this Teradek system and the issue does not have anything to do with the sound system but it is in the actual Teradek. He also spoke with Global Support. They stated that that meeting should not be broadcast through the Teradek system anymore.

I have 2 separate Teradeks that were provided and the audio issue is persistent, so it's not unit specific.

We're not doing anything fancy, just the church-supplied camera mounted on the wall in the stake center, pushing the feed through the teradek and out through youtube.

Any other advice I can look at before having to get into a different set up?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Teradek now not approved for use?

Post by russellhltn »

The church webcast system is going away in July. The official advice is to move to Zoom. But you can't use the Teradek with Zoom directly.

Also, the Teradek has been discontinued, so it's no longer available for purchase in or out of church. So it's no longer the recommended solution.

I'd imagine most if not all areas have stopped pandemic webcasting. However, webcasting for shut-ins according to General Handbook 29.7 may continue.

Taken together, along with the usual game of "telephone" when multiple people are involved, that's probably the basis of FM's response.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
CalS201

Post by CalS201 »

I recall you raised this audio "hum" problem back on 12 Oct 2020 in your post "https://tech.churchofjesuschrist.org/fo ... hp?t=37667". I gave you 4 steps to isolate the problem (post#6) and you completed 3. The 4th step of removing a ground wire OR inserting the isolation transformer (post#18) https://tech.churchofjesuschrist.org/fo ... 44#p216144 should have solved the hum problem for you. Was step 4 ever completed.

The isolation transformer mentioned in callout #2 of the attachment (RDL TX-10A/B) fixes most hum issues.

btw: If FM isn't helpul and you are anywhere on the wasatch front, (ogden to provo) I would be willing to meet and fix the problem (if you can open the AV cabinet and the sound system cabinet). Just PM me.
Attachments
EMTECH AVDH-1 Commissioning Guide (3).pdf
(235.39 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Because it is there and still works, we are using the Teradek VidiU in the stake center as long as it lasts. When it quits, we will use another solution. I doubt we would invest in another encoder such as the J-Tech that has been discussed in this forum. We could, but we would probably figure out some other solution.

But I have not seen anything that requires us to discontinue using the Teradek VidiU. We have already moved off of the Church webcast system and we are not using Zoom because it does not support the VidiU. So while it lasts we will use the encoder to feed the backup system recommended by the Church (YouTube Live).
jsorens6

Post by jsorens6 »

lajackson wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:21 pm Because it is there and still works, we are using the Teradek VidiU in the stake center as long as it lasts. When it quits, we will use another solution. I doubt we would invest in another encoder such as the J-Tech that has been discussed in this forum. We could, but we would probably figure out some other solution.

But I have not seen anything that requires us to discontinue using the Teradek VidiU. We have already moved off of the Church webcast system and we are not using Zoom because it does not support the VidiU. So while it lasts we will use the encoder to feed the backup system recommended by the Church (YouTube Live).
Sounds like we are in the exact same position.
jsorens6

Post by jsorens6 »

btw: If FM isn't helpul and you are anywhere on the wasatch front, (ogden to provo) I would be willing to meet and fix the problem (if you can open the AV cabinet and the sound system cabinet). Just PM me.
I appreciate the offer. We are in Indiana.
Last edited by sbradshaw on Tue May 10, 2022 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed formatting of quote
autryld

Post by autryld »

If you are in the stake building, the FM group can provide you with a Razer Ripsaw capture device. That is what our FM manager ordered for us.

As of the date of this post, this is what MHT recommends:
https://www.amazon.com/Razer-Ripsaw-Gam ... B07Q2X651Z

The Ripsaw accepts only HDMI. If you have a building SD PTZ camera as we do, you'll still need the transcoder. You'll also need a PC or device capable of accepting the input from the Ripsaw for Zoom to broadcast.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”