Cannot change a repeating event

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
RBeatse

Cannot change a repeating event

Post by RBeatse »

We have an event that can't be updated...
The event was created by a Bishop for his Youth that used the building the 2nd, 4th, and 5th Tuesdays. He has now been released and the new Bishop, due to a whole new Ward coming into the building, needs to change it to the 2nd, 3rd, and 5th Tuesdays.
When he or I try to change the repeating schedule and click Save, we get the normal popup asking if it is for only this event, future events (which we want), or all events. When you click on "future events", the popup goes away but the screen does not change and nothing gets updated. When yo finally cancel the change (after multiple tries) the event is still on the original days.

There are no error messages, no notification that the dates are not available, etc.

Very strange! We are going to try deleting the future events and recreating on the correct dates but we shouldn't have to.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Cannot change a repeating event

Post by russellhltn »

Have you checked to make sure there's no conflicts? You'll have to look at the building calendar to make sure there's nothing hiding from you.

You might try creating a test event just to see if it will give you an error message.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
RBeatse

Post by RBeatse »

We don't use the building calendars and it does not show that there are any conflicts. Having to create test events for every possible 2nd, 3rd, and 5th Tuesday really would be time consuming. It probably is a conflicting item but then the bug would be that it does not show the conflicts at the bottom of the detail screen like it normally would.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Are you able to make other changes to the event? For example, changing the title, or removing 4th Tuesdays without adding 3rd Tuesdays?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
RBeatse

Post by RBeatse »

I was able to change the title and so it does seem to be an issue of conflicts, it just doesn't seem to tell where the conflicts are.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

RBeatse wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:15 pm We don't use the building calendars and it does not show that there are any conflicts.
Events that use the facility automatically appear in the location calendar - even if you don't have access to the calendar it was placed on.
RBeatse wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 12:15 pmHaving to create test events for every possible 2nd, 3rd, and 5th Tuesday really would be time consuming. It probably is a conflicting item but then the bug would be that it does not show the conflicts at the bottom of the detail screen like it normally would.
Sorry, I was suggesting that you create a repeating event for the 3rd Tuesday to see if it would give you an error message that would shed light on the problem. If it goes though, then the problem is elsewhere. The bug needs to be understood before it can be fixed. Even then, it's likely to take months, and I'm sure you need a quicker fix.

Unless I'm mistaken, this would have to be 3 repeating monthly events. I don't see a way of selecting 2,4 and 5 in a single event.

Also keep in mind there's a limit as to how far into the future you can do events. I think it's 2 years. If you haven't put an end date or limited the number of events, that could be the reason.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
RBeatse

Post by RBeatse »

ok, as suggested, I created one repeating event for the 3rd Tuesday and found the conflicting reservation. I still could not update the original reservation to remove the 4th Tuesday and add the 3rd Tuesday. So, I removed all but the 2nd Tuesday, saved it, and then updated to add the 3rd Tuesday, saved it, then updated to add the 5th Tuesday (BTW, they had an ending date of 12/31/2022 the whole time).

It finally worked. Not sure if it just had a hard time deleted so many and adding so many at the same time (somewhere there is some SQL going crazy!!).

Thanks for the help!!!!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Errors are supposed to be caught by the "front end" (The GUI process). But sometimes something slips though and it's the backend that says "nope". In that case, there may not be an error message (and if there was, it would probably be confusing to all but the developer).

As you say, trying to change 2nd, 4th, 5th, to 2nd, 3rd, 5th might have caused something strange. Only 1/3 of the events are changing. The others are staying the same. By breaking it down, you now had a positive change for each cycle.

In my limited development experience, getting a system to consistently give good error messages is at least as much work as trying to get the app to do what it should in the first place.

Glad you got it going.

Return to “Calendar”