Church Webcasts using OBS

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
evan@alexfam.com

Re: Church Webcasts using OBS

Post by evan@alexfam.com »

I have used @jeremywillden's obs-automator as a base for a Raspberry Pi system that costs just about 250$ for the whole system. It is able to do any RTMP source, such as youtube, but also is able to read the autoconfig from the church.

We removed the requirement for obs, and went straight to ffmpeg, for increased performance and so we could go with a cheaper solution. It has a configuration page to be able to stop, start, restart, and see the status, along with editing all sorts of settings such as an autoconfig url, rtmp details, resolution, etc. We also have recently started development of an app to be able to control the pi easily for bishops.

If you want to take a look, feel free at:
viewtopic.php?p=218301
https://github.com/ChickenDevs/webcast
evan@alexfam.com

Post by evan@alexfam.com »

evan@alexfam.com wrote:I have used @jeremywillden's obs-automator as a base for a Raspberry Pi system that costs just about 250$ for the whole system. It is able to do any RTMP source, such as youtube, but also is able to read the autoconfig from the church.

We removed the requirement for obs, and went straight to ffmpeg, for increased performance and so we could go with a cheaper solution. It has a configuration page to be able to stop, start, restart, and see the status, along with editing all sorts of settings such as an autoconfig url, rtmp details, resolution, etc. We also have recently started development of an app to be able to control the pi easily for bishops.

If you want to take a look, feel free at:
viewtopic.php?p=218301
https://github.com/ChickenDevs/webcast-pi
Just realized i made a typo, its https://github.com/ChickenDevs/webcast
hktonga6966

Post by hktonga6966 »

I use OBS for the "camera" options (transitioning & different camera angles) and enable the OBS Virtual Camera, and use that option in Zoom when I start broadcasting for Sacrament Meetings Webinar... It works well!
samuelcheney

Post by samuelcheney »

I am currently using OBS to manage 4 camera shots. I have issues with RTMP streams dropping when not in use. We've even added a dedicated access point for our AV purposes. It's helped but I still get streams dropping and I can't get them back and I can't just restart OBS during the meeting. I can sometimes get them back by clicking into the media source properties for the individual RTMP feeds but sometimes it just doesn't work. I've seen a post here about an activate/deactivate button but I don't seem to have one. Anybody else have issues with RTMP streams dropping on them and not being able to get them back?

Also, for those using OBS, and have an iPad (not sure about android), check out OBS blade. There's some set up required, but it allows for really easy scene changes. I haven't used it yet but have experimented with it. I usually use studio mode so I can do on-the-fly changes.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The guy who does webcasting for our ward used to have problems with dropped streams. He fixed it by using a wired connection. Since then he bought a new laptop and has gone back to wireless and seems happy with it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
autryld

Post by autryld »

bretbassett wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:17 pm The attached PDF shows one stake's experience using OBS software running on a computer for broadcasting Sacrament Meetings.
I was very pleased to find this document today. I was seeking setup instructions for OBS and Zoom using the Razer Ripsaw Capture Card (USB) that was sent to us by the FM group. I've called webcast support and emailed MHT. The person I reached at the webcast support seemed new. Although he was very polite, he could offer no help. There have been no email replies from MHT. (Is this mailbox not monitored?) I was eventually successful at configuring a test Zoom video broadcast but I could not get the audio to work. I'm going to study the OBS portion of this document closer and work on it with Zoom.

This is what I am working with:
  • Webcast rack mounted panel in the satellite closet with SD video and chapel audio.
    Sony PTZ camera in the chapel
    Transcoder with RCA video and 3.5mm audio in and HDMI out.
    HDMI into the Razer Ripsaw.
    MacBook with USB port replicator.
I will also be setting up a scene 2 for the passing of the sacrament.

Thanks!
autryld

Post by autryld »

hktonga6966 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:35 pm I use OBS for the "camera" options (transitioning & different camera angles) and enable the OBS Virtual Camera, and use that option in Zoom when I start broadcasting for Sacrament Meetings Webinar... It works well!
Hi,
What kind of capture card do you use? Also, where can I find setup instructions for audio? I'm using a Razer Ripsaw USB capture card. Video is working fine but I can't get audio to be broadcast.

Thanks,
Larry
autryld

Post by autryld »

autryld wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:48 am
hktonga6966 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:35 pm I use OBS for the "camera" options (transitioning & different camera angles) and enable the OBS Virtual Camera, and use that option in Zoom when I start broadcasting for Sacrament Meetings Webinar... It works well!
Hi,
What kind of capture card do you use? Also, where can I find setup instructions for audio? I'm using a Razer Ripsaw USB capture card. Video is working fine but I can't get audio to be broadcast.

Thanks,
Larry
I’m getting somewhat anxious with 1 July approaching. Any advice about my OBS audio issue would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”