Legal documents needed to update name in LCR?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
Ipiu2

Legal documents needed to update name in LCR?

Post by Ipiu2 »

Hello!

Does the ward clerk need supporting document(s) to update a member’s name in LCR?

The handbook states the following:

Names Used in Church Records
A person’s full legal name, as defined by local law or custom, should be used in membership records and on ordinance certificates.

The definition of “should”
Does should mean mandatory?
Should means that a certain feature, component and/or action is desirable but not mandatory.

See attachment when I indicate in LCR to update a members name.

A member would like to remove one of their middle names from their membership record.
Attachments
0FDD2036-1C90-4693-A22B-6BD4336AE63F.png
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Legal documents needed to update name in LCR?

Post by russellhltn »

You can edit the "Preferred name" to be most anything the member wants it to be. That's the name that shows up in most places. But the legal name should be there in the appropriate field. In the language of the Handbook, "Should" isn't mandatory, but is generally pretty strong.

I'd suggest talking to the bishop and/or the stake clerk on this one.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Ipiu2

Post by Ipiu2 »

Thanks! Does the clerk need supporting documents to make changes to a member’s legal name (NOT PREFERRED NAME) in LCR?
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

Ipiu2 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:01 pm Thanks! Does the clerk need supporting documents to make changes to a member’s legal name (NOT PREFERRED NAME) in LCR?
The clerk does not have to submit any kind of documentation to the Church. What you decide is appropriate to request from a member before recording the updated name is something you should decide by counseling with your bishop and stake clerk.
Ipiu2

Post by Ipiu2 »

Does the clerk need to see any legal documents to update legal names in LCR? (NOT PREFERRED NAME and NOT REGARDING SUBMITTING DOCUMENTS TO THE CHURCH)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Since you seem to be looking for a definitive answer - all we can provide is this:

General Handbook 0.4:
Questions about Instructions
When questions arise that are not addressed in the scriptures, the words of the living prophets, or this handbook, Church members should rely on their covenants with God, the counsel of their local leaders, and the inspiration of the Spirit for guidance.

If leaders have questions about information in this handbook or about issues it does not address, they counsel with their immediate presiding authority.
The clerk's presiding authority is the bishop. The clerk's trainer is the stake clerk. (See 33.3.2.2 and 33.3.2.2)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Ipiu2

Post by Ipiu2 »

👍
jjyamnai

Post by jjyamnai »

I have a question, can they (Leaders and Clerks) change my date of birth and my date of Arronic priesthood Ordination, if yes please I need help on this....please
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

jjyamnai wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:25 am I have a question, can they (Leaders and Clerks) change my date of birth and my date of Arronic priesthood Ordination, if yes please I need help on this....please
Yes they can. At the bishops discretion he may want to see a birth certificate or other official record showing the birth date before making the correction. If the ordination is recorded but has the wrong date but has the correct year listed, then the clerk can just correct the date (after consulting with the bishop) because the ordination is considered valid if it has the correct year listed. If the ordination was not recorded or has the wrong year then it is considered invalid. The procedures for validating and correcting an ordinance are listed in the General Handbook section 38.2.6.1. Once the ordination has been validated using one of the methods listed there, the clerk can just correct the record.

If the clerk is not aware of how to correct either the birth date or ordinance date in the church computer systems, he should contact his stake or district clerk who is responsible for training him.

Return to “Membership Help”