Building Scheduler - trying to understand Order of Operation

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
casper684

Re: Building Scheduler - trying to understand Order of Operation

Post by casper684 »

Thank you for the link. I did find that. We created a private event calendar on the stake calendar list. Our building schedulers create all private events on this private event calendar only after receiving authorization by all bishops in whatever building is requested. This has been working very well for our stake. I especially liked and use the suggestion in several posts of NOT putting what the event is. This has been most helpful and avoids uninvited guests. All new building schedulers are given a detailed manual explaining their roles and responsibilities.
RBeatse

Post by RBeatse »

casper684 wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:44 pm This has been working very well for our stake.
Glad to hear
stebur

Re: Building Scheduler

Post by stebur »

Is it possible to put the name of the ward building instead of Building 1, 2 etc.?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

stebur wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:12 pm Is it possible to put the name of the ward building instead of Building 1, 2 etc.?
I assume you're talking about LCR. I'm not aware of a way to change that, but perhaps someone with access to LCR can see if there is a way.

But that's not how Building Schedulers get their rights in the Calendar system. A stake admin has to do it inside the Calendar webpage.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
casper684

Post by casper684 »

stebur wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:12 pm Is it possible to put the name of the ward building instead of Building 1, 2 etc.?
Yes that is a problem as the ward clerk often times has no idea what their "building #" is and just
selects one. Stake administrator needs to know which correct building it is and determines calendar
access based on what building number the ward clerk selects.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

casper684 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:36 pm Yes that is a problem as the ward clerk often times has no idea what their "building #" is and just
selects one. Stake administrator needs to know which correct building it is and determines calendar
access based on what building number the ward clerk selects.
Unless I'm missing something, building schedulers are called by (or at least recorded by) the stake as it needs to go though the agent bishop.

If you know what ward they're in, it should be easy to know which building in the calendar is being referred to.

That said, I agree that "Building #" is pretty messy.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
casper684

Post by casper684 »

Good point about the agent bishop!

Problem is if ward clerk puts incorrect building number, building scheduler will not have access to their ward's calendar.
I see this all the time. In our stake we have ward building schedulers that oversee the calendars for their ward and
Stake assigns them as a calendar editor only on the stake private events calendar. Our ward building schedulers only
have access as calendar editor to input events on location and stake private events calendar. Building schedulers have the ability to
make appropriate changes to events associated with their building, even events on stake and ward calendars,
assisting the editors of the various calendars. I believe the "ward building scheduler" is not a standard calling.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

casper684 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:06 pm Problem is if ward clerk puts incorrect building number, building scheduler will not have access to their ward's calendar.
That's not how it works. Building Scheduler in LCR grants nothing, nada, zip to the calendar. (At least not automatically.) As far as I know recording it in LCR only records the fact they have the calling. It doesn't appear anywhere in the LCR Access Table.

The way to grant a Building Scheduler their rights is for a stake admin to open the calendar web page, click on the Gear icon, and select "Building Schedulers". A drop-down list of buildings will be presented from the FM database. It might be named for the ward or the street it's on, but it won't be "Building #1". From there, it should be clear on how to add someone to the role.

Note that this will NOT automatically grant them edit access to anything but the location calendar. Access to activity calendars has to be done separately.
casper684 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:06 pm I see this all the time. In our stake we have ward building schedulers that oversee the calendars for their ward and
Stake assigns them as a calendar editor only on the stake private events calendar.
Hmmm, OK, but that's a bit odd. It's up to the ward to grant their scheduling person edit rights to their calendars. I'm not sure what giving them rights to a stake private events calendar accomplishes. Any activity blocks off the building. Using one central calendar just allows one scheduler to edit/remove what another has scheduled. The risk/benefit of that strikes me as questionable.

But the whole idea of a ward scheduler seems a bit odd. Is there a reason the ward doesn't allow their quorums and auxiliaries edit rights to their own calendar? I mean, you can centralize scheduling within a unit, but I'm not sure as that's a good idea. It creates an added layer of hoops to jump through to have an activity.

casper684 wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:06 pm Building schedulers have the ability to make appropriate changes to events associated with their building, even events on stake and ward calendars,
assisting the editors of the various calendars.
Yes, but please note they can only edit an existing event taking place in "their" building. They're unable to add an event to any calendar except the location calendar unless that right has been granted separately.

Personally, if I had my way, the calling would be renamed to "Building Scheduling Supervisor". Because they oversee the process. They're not normally part of the day-to-day scheduling. That was the old way because of the limitation of paper scheduling where there could only be one sheet of paper that was fully up to date. Today, that "up to date" copy is on the server where anyone with proper rights can look at it and update it. We no longer have to go though a single person.

If you're still unclear on something, it might be worth reviewing Building Schedulers in the Help center.

Return to “Calendar”