Is a receipt submitted for reimbursement required to have the date?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
dh228

Is a receipt submitted for reimbursement required to have the date?

Post by dh228 »

If someone submits the screenshot of a purchase as their receipt for reimbursement, is it required for the screenshot to include the date of the purchase?

Also, does the receipt need to have a line item of everything purchased or is the overall total amount enough?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Is a receipt submitted for reimbursement required to have the date?

Post by jdlessley »

From the Help Center article Record Expenses and Reimbursements:
A member requesting reimbursement provides the receipts or invoices electronically (a picture or scan) or a physical copy showing the amount and date of the purchase. The member indicates which category the expense is for. If a receipt or invoice is not available, the member should provide a full written explanation of the expense, including the date, amount of the purchase, and category.
So, yes, the date is required. The total amount is all that is required.
You may want to talk to your audit committee chairman, one of the stake presidency counselors, for local requirements that may exceed those written in the Help Center.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Some members have submitted a credit card receipt for reimbursement. When they do so, I ask them for an itemized receipt that shows the items purchased. Failing that, a memo is necessary. And in all cases, the date of purchase is essential.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

Although it may not be strictly necessary I always go back and ask for a receipt with line items. Some auditors are picky about that. I even had one in our stake who wrote up an exception because the clerk didn't include all pages of a phone bill (with all the itemized calls) for a fast offering expense. I didn't agree that that should have been an exception but it's best to get a more detailed receipt if possible.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”