Main page content only there for a few seconds

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
ryanhuber

Re: Main page content only there for a few seconds

Post by ryanhuber »

russellhltn wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 11:48 am
BrianEdwards wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 10:03 am Hitting <esc> to stop the switching doesn't work for me, either.
You gotta be fast. You may not want to wait for the first page to fully load. This is in Chrome. I don't know if it works in other browsers.
Thanks for the tip about hitting <ESC> really fast while the page starts loading! That worked if I tried multiple times. The problem seems to have gone away for me now. And just to confirm, I was also using the Chrome browser, so it did seem to be correlated with that.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

So much for clearing browser cache and deleting cookies. The problem just showed up for me today. I'm using Firefox ESR. For me, hitting <ESC> (even repeatedly) while doing a regular page refresh has not stopped the redirection, and hitting <ESC> on a full page reload (control-shift-R) sometimes blocks the normal page from loading all the images but does not reliably stop the redirection. I sent feedback. Sending feedback is important, because that's how problems are officially tracked.
MurdockM

Post by MurdockM »

It also happens when using Microsoft Edge on my desktop.
And happens with a fresh install of Avast secure browser (based on chrome) on my desktop.

It does not happen using firefox on my desktop.

it does happen using Firefox on my Android phone.

PS: And one time only, it switched to an entirely different Come unto Christ(?) web page. Not having the banner with the young girl singing.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

murdock20m wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 3:34 pm It does not happen using firefox on my desktop.
I use Firefox 101.0.1 on my laptop with Win10 and redirection started earlier this week. I have not been able to stop it or get back to the main page using any of my tricks, even the nefarious ones.

It is frustrating, because some links are available on the real home page that are not available after redirection.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

lajackson wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:35 pm ...
It is frustrating, because some links are available on the real home page that are not available after redirection.
Shot in the dark: If you do 'View Source' (Control-U in some browsers) during the time the real/normal main page is up, that might give you access to the links.

PS: I'm seeing the problematic symptoms with Firefox ESR (91.11.0esr (64-bit)) on a Linux desktop.
aberglun

Post by aberglun »

Out of curiosity, I tried a file comparison of the Source Page texts for both the Home Page and the Redirected Page. There are 10 lines with differences. They consist of short snipits of encoding string changes (one of the lines is completely different). I suspect that the real key differences are deeper down in an included file, ... kind of like the inclusion of CSS files. I sent a Feedback to the Web Techs for that page. Hopefully they will respond back. :-)
MurdockM

Post by MurdockM »

(Another shot in the dark)

I just checked Firefox again on my desktop. Waited 10 min and also clicked on some links. Reloaded the page a few times. The web page did not make the switch.
This is with Firefox 102.0.1 (64bit) on Windows 10 Pro (21H2)
Firefox.jpg
lajackson wrote: Sat Jul 09, 2022 8:35 pm
I use Firefox 101.0.1 on my laptop with Win10 and redirection started earlier this week. I have not been able to stop it or get back to the main page using any of my tricks, even the nefarious ones.

Return to “Main Church Website”