Temple use in logo

Use this forum to share and discuss ideas that do not fall into a specific audiovisual media type.
erinajwilliams

Temple use in logo

Post by erinajwilliams »

I am wanting to use a sketch drawing of the SLC temple in a logo of mine for an app which helps to connect single temple worthy saints. Can someone tell me please what are the rules around using drawings of temples in logos?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Temple use in logo

Post by russellhltn »

Click the "Terms of use" link the bottom of the page. Near the bottom of that page, you'll see some information about Church trademarks including contact information.

They should be able to help you out.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

There are no rules I'm aware of related to the use of photos or drawings of the outside of a temple (as long as it's your own image). However, because people associate temples with the Church, you'll want to make sure that people visiting your site understand that it's not an official Church website, and it's not sponsored or endorsed by the Church.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sbradshaw wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:08 pm There are no rules I'm aware of related to the use of photos or drawings of the outside of a temple (as long as it's your own image).
I'm not either, but there's still a question of if the church considers the distinctive profile of a temple (particularly the SLC temple) a trademark. That's separate from copyright.

Since you're wanting to use this in an app, I'd still recommend contacting the church's Intellectual Property Office rather than relying on our non-authoritative guess. It's better to find out now rather than having to change your branding part way though.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
brightakowuah

Post by brightakowuah »

Can the Church Logo be used on Stake Conference poster?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

You will have to use the guidance in the General Handbook, 38.8.8. Unless it is approved by the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles units cannot use the logo. You can contact the Intellectual Property Office for further questions.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “General Media Discussions”