YouTube ads on the church videos

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
Fisher1250

YouTube ads on the church videos

Post by Fisher1250 »

I have noticed recently ( in the past 3 months) that the church's YouTube videos now have ads every 5 to 10 mins. Did the church decide to monetize their channels? I used to be able to watch a full music and the spoken word with only the add at the beginning. The ads are really ruining the experience.
Any one know why there are so many ads now?
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Re: YouTube ads on the church videos

Post by Mikerowaved »

Yep. Here's an explanation in a Forbes article written almost two years ago.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Channels also get monetized if someone makes a copyright claim - the profits then go to the person claiming copyright.

It's probably worthwhile to use the feedback link at the bottom of the page to report this. There's a possibility the team in charge of media isn't aware of it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Fisher1250 wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:40 am I have noticed recently ( in the past 3 months) that the church's YouTube videos now have ads every 5 to 10 mins. Did the church decide to monetize their channels? I used to be able to watch a full music and the spoken word with only the add at the beginning. The ads are really ruining the experience.
Any one know why there are so many ads now?
Note that Music and the Spoken Word is on the Tabernacle Choir YouTube channel, which will likely have a different configuration than the main Church YouTube channel. I haven't yet seen ads on the main Church YouTube channel (but based on the article above, that might change in the future).
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

russellhltn wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:11 pm Channels also get monetized if someone makes a copyright claim - the profits then go to the person claiming copyright.
YouTube simply states: "Your video is ineligible for monetization due to a copyright claim."
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Mikerowaved wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:51 am
russellhltn wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:11 pm Channels also get monetized if someone makes a copyright claim - the profits then go to the person claiming copyright.
YouTube simply states: "Your video is ineligible for monetization due to a copyright claim."
From what I understand, you (the uploader) can no longer monetize, but the copyright holder can. And frequently does. If they do, the video will have advertising regardless of what the uploader intended. The money will go to the copyright holder.

Worse, there doesn't seem to be anything to insure the claimant really is the copyright holder. There's been a fair amount of fraudulent claims.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

por02008

Post by por02008 »

I'm watching October, 2023 General Conference and there are adds between most talks. After reading the Forbes article it would appear that YouTube has forced monetization and is taking all the revenue.

Return to “General Discussions”