Who can the Bishopric invite to sit with them during Sacrament meeting?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Who can the Bishopric invite to sit with them during Sacrament meeting?

Post by russellhltn »

simph1 wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:11 pm Scenario: Every seat in the chapel and overflow was full...
You might want to check for fire code violation. At least in my state/county, there is a legal occupancy limit with a publicly posted placard stating the limit. If you pack the overflow with chairs, there's a good chance it's being exceeded.

I'm not sure what the criteria is. It might be related to how fast the room can be evacuated in the event of a fire. With a fully packed chapel/overflow/cultural hall, I can see that being a concern.

I do know we had to divide a student singles ward that was meeting in a institute building as the Sunday services were breaking fire code. (Or so I was told.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Re: Who can the Bishopric invite to sit with them during Sacrament meeting?

Post by davesudweeks »

russellhltn wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:26 pm I'm not sure what the criteria is. It might be related to how fast the room can be evacuated in the event of a fire. With a fully packed chapel/overflow/cultural hall, I can see that being a concern
Anyone who is interested in this answer might find this page useful (for the USA). https://www.nfpa.org/-/media/Files/Code ... A6_off9Dwg

It is indeed related to the NFPA Life Safety Code and being able to safely evacuate a space in the event of a fire or other emergency. The local fire marshal has the authority to levy fines against organizations who violate the occupancy load, though that would probably only be for organizations who don't heed warnings on violations.

Return to “General Discussions”