Removing personal microsoft account attached to unit account

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
scottarlo

Removing personal microsoft account attached to unit account

Post by scottarlo »

We recently had a newly called ward clerk who when logging in on the unit computer also logged into microsoft with his online personal microsoft live account. Now everything that runs on the unit computer is pulling his info from his online account. I have figured out a how to clean up Edge and the Registry of any connection to his account, but his account is still listed under Settings -> Accounts -> Email & accounts # Accounts used by other apps. The only option available when I click in this microsoft account is to 'Manage' it, but no option to remove it is offered.

Searching online, there are suggestions that following the Settings -> Accounts -> Access work or school path and disconnecting the account from the church AD will remove it. It is hinted that the AD settings are holding the 'other app' details. However, disconnecting from the AD may cause other more serious problems with the unit account. Does anyone have any suggestions how to resolve this problem?
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Re: Removing personal microsoft account attached to unit account

Post by Mikerowaved »

I would not recommend trying to fix the current [botched] Windows account. You'll be playing whack-a-mole with one thing or another for months and may never get it quite right. This is what I'd do:
  • Save everything of personal value to a flash drive or external HD. This will include docs, pics, spreadsheets, program templates, meeting agendas, etc. (Don't worry about apps or system files.)
  • Create a new local account and give it Admin privilege.
  • Log out of the botched account and log into your new local account.
  • Delete the botched account. (You will be given the option to delete all personal files and settings associated with that account. If you choose not to, you can take control of them later, should you realize you forgot to backup something.)
  • Restore your backed up files to the new account.
If you're still using MLS, it may have to be reinstalled. Better yet, make a clean break and use LCR from here on in (if you're in an area that allows that).
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Are unit computers part of a domain? I know there's stuff pushed down to them, but last I looked they still ran in workstation mode.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

russellhltn wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:16 am Are unit computers part of a domain? I know there's stuff pushed down to them, but last I looked they still ran in workstation mode.
The ones in my stake just have a local login. If they were part of a domain, I don't think AD would let a person change the login account to something using a personal MS account.
scottarlo

Post by scottarlo »

I'll ask my STS if we are part of a domain or just local. I can't tell for sure. There is some suggestion that the church AD under 'Access work or school' might have been created by microsoft login. If that is the case, I will follow the suggestion of creating a new local account above.

Return to “Clerk Computers”