Hard to download audio content

tbarnesiv

Hard to download audio content

Post by tbarnesiv »

I have seen a progression over the last several years where it is getting harder and harder to download audio content from the main church site to the point that it is ridiculously difficult. There was a time where you could download an audio version of the Book of Mormon or Bible or from one of the church manuals, in whole, with relative ease. But now, you have to go to each chapter and download a single audio track individually. I like the progress that the church's Gospel Library app has made, though it still has problems, but this is only good on a smart phone, not a computer or being able to put on CD or digital device (except thru the phone app) to be able to listen to.

The last time I sent a request to through the help link was when they would show you all the tracks in one place, but only download one at a time. I cannot even do this now. The response I got was that they would pass on my suggestion to be able to bulk download the book or podcast, etc.

Does anyone have any recommendations?
munaish

Re: Hard to download audio content

Post by munaish »

Yes, I have a recommendation.

You can use the m3u files I posted in another thread:
https://tech.churchofjesuschrist.org/fo ... hp?t=40951

In that thread, get the most recent ones (not the older ones with the same or similar names).

What these files are are lists of official URLs of the scripture mp3s. While I intended the files for streaming them with a media player, you could alternatively use the files for downloading them instead. You can do this with wget (it's a simple command-line downloader program, popular in Linux, but I'm sure it's available for other platforms; so, if you don't have that, you can get it first). Download the m3u files. Then, use this wget command on them from the command-line:

wget -i whateverThePlaylistNameIs.m3u

Or, I suppose you could figure out another way to download them all, if you don't want to use wget.
tbarnesiv

Post by tbarnesiv »

Worked like a charm. Thanks!
munaish

Post by munaish »

tbarnesiv wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 12:25 pm Worked like a charm. Thanks!
Awesome! :) You're welcome!

Return to “Audiobooks”