Options for inclusion in Single Adult activities

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
cdeppong

Options for inclusion in Single Adult activities

Post by cdeppong »

Hello,

With the automation of church membership records, I feel we've list some ability to be sensitive to individual needs. Specifically, when a married member of the church is suddenly "single" because their spouse has died or because of an unwelcome divorce, their church records immediately change their marital status. When a grieving widow receives invitations to single adult activities during her husband's funeral, I wonder if there can't be a feature to allow for a waiting period or a bishopric approval before having a member receive those communications. This seems like a technical issue more than a doctrinal or policy issue. Line dancing with the singles isn't really what you want when you are sorting through insurance issues and grieving.

Thanks!
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Options for inclusion in Single Adult activities

Post by jdlessley »

I understand your concerns as I can personally relate to suddenly becoming single again. Every situation is unique and no single solution to 'inclusion' in regards to single activities serves all. As you mentioned, the bishop/branch president should be involved in caring for those in these tender situations.

There are methods available to prevent unwanted communications. The bishop, in counsel with the member, can have the member's contact information changed from the less restrictive settings to the private setting. This will remove them from being contacted by those outside the ward/branch council. The settings can be changed again once the member is ready to receive more general communications, such as single member events and activities.

If you have a specific member and situation in mind, speak with your bishop. Mention the change of contact information privacy setting as a reminder for something he may have overlooked.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'm trying to figure out how the list of singles would have been compiled. Is there a "send to singles" function in LCR's "Send a message"? If not then this was probably a manual process.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

russellhltn wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:50 pm I'm trying to figure out how the list of singles would have been compiled.
I don't know what lists are available at the stake level in SaM or even if the stake singles leaders have access to send messages through SaM. A list would most likely come from the stake clerks or the clerks send messages on behalf of stake single leaders. Even so, a visibility setting of "Private - leadership only" would preclude singles contact information from being displayed on the list. Their name would be the only information displayed.
Alternatively the stake singles leaders could ask the ward/branch clerks for a list. An unaware or hurried ward/branch clerk could inadvertently print out a list with singles' contact information - even those with private visibility settings.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:50 pm Is there a "send to singles" function in LCR's "Send a message"?
Send a Message has options to send to Single Adults and/or to Young Single Adults.
cdeppong

Post by cdeppong »

Thank you for your reply. I wonder if the privacy settings would also prevent someone from getting notices about stake activities and conferences when they only want to be excluded from the Single Adult communications. Also most of us are fully capable of using a delete button.

Thanks again.

Return to “General Discussions”