Sealing Cancelations

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
apchacon

Re: Sealing Cancelations

Post by apchacon »

My father and my mother were divorced in 1999 and my parents did not cancel their Temple sealing before my father died in 2008. I am very, very surprised because my mother informed me that she has received approval to have her Temple sealing cancelled to be sealed to a man she's dating. The reason I am surprised is because I was under the impression that a Temple sealing could not be cancelled if one spouse was dead. I am now worried that this could happen to me, or to my children in the future. Can anyone confirm if this is a new practice?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

apchacon wrote:The reason I am surprised is because I was under the impression that a Temple sealing could not be cancelled if one spouse was dead.
I don't know what the policy used to be, but currently, a living woman can only be sealed to one man. She can remarry "for time" without canceling the sealing, but to get sealed to the new husband, she must cancel the prior one. (Handbook 1: 3.7.1.3)

As for the children, I'd refer to What happens when a couple gets a temple divorce? What happens to the children in the next life? (Also, Handbook 1: 3.7, second paragraph).

While you don't have access to Handbook 1, your bishop does. It's also there for others who do have access to follow along and see what I'm basing my statements on.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
cougar123

Post by cougar123 »

My wife and I are in a troublesome situation.

[Moderator edit: What follows is a long, detailed explanation that is probably not best posted publicly. The question at hand: Can someone cancel the sealing of a deceased faithful parent to their cheating, inactive, (and apparently still alive) spouse?]

Now, I am doing my best to be faithful to my Covenants. And I pray that I may already know the answer.
Last edited by russellhltn on Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

cougar123 wrote:My wife and I are in a troublesome situation.

[Moderator edit: What follows is a long, detailed explanation that is probably not best posted publicly. The question at hand: Can someone cancel the sealing of a deceased faithful parent to their cheating, inactive, (and apparently still alive) spouse?]

Now, I am doing my best to be faithful to my Covenants. And I pray that I may already know the answer.
Just a reminder to everyone, this is a public forum, visible to the entire world.

I think you'll find an answer from the church's General Handbook section 38.4 - Sealing Policies:
Members who have concerns about the eternal nature of the sealing ordinance and their associated family and spousal relationships can find peace in the knowledge that Heavenly Father is loving and just. ...

Members who are divorced but still sealed to the former spouse are often troubled by the thought of that sealing. The sealing will not be compulsory in the postmortal life for either a man or a woman. If temple covenants are broken and no repentance is made, the sealing between the husband and wife is revoked. However, those who keep their covenants will retain the individual blessings provided by the sealing. This is the case even if the spouse has broken the covenants or withdrawn from the marriage.

Once a cancellation of sealing has been approved by the First Presidency, individual blessings pertaining to that sealing are no longer in force.
Nothing will happen to the deceased parent that the parent doesn't want. If the sealing were to be canceled, so would some of the blessing that has been earned.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
cashcraft38

Post by cashcraft38 »

has this changed? My bishop said I needed to get it started online, but he had never done it before so looking to see where I go to start the process.
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

cashcraft38 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:16 pm has this changed? My bishop said I needed to get it started online, but he had never done it before so looking to see where I go to start the process.
Your bishop needs to start the process in the leadership portion of LCR which is only accessible to him in the ward. If he needs help or guidance he should check with the stake president.
Cullumcita

Post by Cullumcita »

Can I as a woman with no intentions on re marrying get a temple sealing cancelation. My ex was abusive, I don’t want to be tied to him in the afterlife. I have been divorced for 5 years, and have no desire to re marry.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Cullumcita wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 11:25 pm Can I as a woman with no intentions on re marrying get a temple sealing cancelation. My ex was abusive, I don’t want to be tied to him in the afterlife. I have been divorced for 5 years, and have no desire to re marry.
Yes, it's possible, but it also cancels blessings that you've been promised that are not dependent on your husband's worthiness. Please keep in mind that sealing is a saving ordinance, required for salvation.

As for the issue to whom you are sealed to, please read the Handbook quote a few posts above.

If you still want to go though with this, the starting point is to talk to your bishop.

judiholt

Post by judiholt »

I am in the process of a sealing cancellation. My current worthy husband in the middle of the process has changed his mind about when and if we get sealed to each other. Where does this leave me?
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

judiholt wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:52 am I am in the process of a sealing cancellation. My current worthy husband in the middle of the process has changed his mind about when and if we get sealed to each other. Where does this leave me?
I think this question in your specific situation is best answered by your bishop or stake president. They have the keys to receive inspirational guidance to assist you and will do so with love and kindness.

Return to “General Discussions”