Members Who Do Not Want to be Contacted

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
Hilohi

Members Who Do Not Want to be Contacted

Post by Hilohi »

Would it be possible to add a feature where the bishop can check a box on the membership record of members who don't want to be contacted and thus have their membership record be completely hidden from everyone except the bishop? It would be nice to also include a comments field so that subsequent bishops can know why a member doesn't want to be contacted.

For members who don't want to be contacted, we've been adding additional text to their contact information (e.g. john@gmaildonotcontact.com, (123) 456-7890 DNC). However, (1) the Church asks that we not use invalid email addresses because "putting invalid information in the email field creates other challenges in Church operations" and (2) making the aforementioned notations on a member's record creates potential privacy issues.

The Church recommends that the contact information be left blank for members who do not want to be contacted. I don't think that's the best approach as there might be times when we'll want to contact those members (e.g. when natural disasters occur, for emergencies, etc.). Also, in my experience, members who don't want to be contacted are on a spectrum - from "I don't currently want to be contacted, but I might be open to contact in the future" to "I don't ever want to be contacted", and everything in between. So while deleting the contact information for members who do not want to be contacted might be a suitable approach for some, for many others it would be a suboptimal, even perhaps a detrimental approach. Sure, we could record their contact information on a separate document, but that's probably not the best approach as documents can get lost (even electronic ones) or information can get lost in transcribing.

Circling back to my first paragraph above, in this age of social media, I opine the membership record of members who do not want to be contacted be hidden [from everyone except the bishop] and not just their contact information. We had an incident where missionaries sent a friend request to a "do-not-contact" member (whose phone and email address are blank on her membership record) and that made that member very upset.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Members Who Do Not Want to be Contacted

Post by russellhltn »

The request has come up many times. The developers don't get to make these changes on their own. This would require approval by either the Presiding Bishopric, or the First Presidency. While you're welcome to submit your suggestion via the feedback link, I get the impression that's not how the leaders want to run the church.

What you can do is set their contact information to private. That would prevent anyone below the ward council level of leadership from contacting them. Hopefully the ward council is discussing the members and would have a pretty good idea of who doesn't want to be contacted.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Members Who Do Not Want to be Contacted

Post by sbradshaw »

Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”