Arranging notes?

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
zaneclark

Arranging notes?

Post by zaneclark »

Is there any way to arrange your notes chronologically or alphabetically or whatever? I had a member ask me this and I seldom use notes and couldn't find a way to do this.....
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Arranging notes?

Post by sbradshaw »

You can sort the list of tags or notebooks by name, modified date, or count, but there's no way to sort the notes themselves. In the All annotations tab, notes are always sorted by date modified with the newest on the top.

If the notes are inside a notebook, they can be manually reordered using the iOS or Android version of Gospel Library, but you can't reorder annotations under a tag or the list of all annotations.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
LDSJLux

Post by LDSJLux »

Is it possible to add "tags" or to relocate/move previously created notes from one notebook to another in an effort to better organize mine AFTER they have already been entered?
mevans

Post by mevans »

LDSJLux wrote:Is it possible to add "tags" or to relocate/move previously created notes from one notebook to another in an effort to better organize mine AFTER they have already been entered?
I'm sorry no one has gotten back to you about your question. This is a good user-to-user forum where you can generally get help fairly quickly.

Yes, you can add/remove tags, and also add/change notebooks. Please clarify the following:
  • I assume you're using this through a web browser and not the LDS Tools app on a mobile device, correct?
  • Do you know if you're using the "new experience" or the "old experience"? There should be a toggle near the top of the web page to tell you if new experience is on.
ls4680

Post by ls4680 »

sbradshaw wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:57 pm If the notes are inside a notebook, they can be manually reordered using the iOS…
That is what I am looking for, how do I manually reorder?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

ls4680 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:36 pm
sbradshaw wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:57 pm If the notes are inside a notebook, they can be manually reordered using the iOS…
That is what I am looking for, how do I manually reorder?
In iOS Gospel Library, open the notebook, then choose Edit from the three-dots menu in the top right. Then, drag notes up or down using the drag handle on the right side of each note card.

In Android Gospel Library, open the notebook, then long-press a note card and drag it up or down.

This used to only work inside a notebook, but it now works inside a tag as well (you can manually reorder notes and highlights within a tag).

Hope this helps!
alicejensen

Post by alicejensen »

I have a similar question about moving notes from one notebook to another, but literally. I often accidentally add a note to the wrong notebook since I study different scriptures and such in the same day. So I add it to the correct notebook and now I have the same note in two different notebooks. If I edit the note and select, “move to notebook,” then click on the notebook I want to move it to, the checkmark is still there and it’s still in that notebook as well as the other; so “move” is the wrong term for that action, and it will add to a 3rd Notebook if I were to click on another one to ‘move’ it to. If I go to the notebook, it looks like the only option I have to remove it from that notebook is to delete it, which will delete it from now both notebooks. Bottom line is I simply want to take my note out of only one of the two notebooks and keep it in the one. I am on iOS, 15.4.1 and Library 6.2.0 12698. Have had this question for years but still cannot find the answer. Only way I see of doing this is to copy the note, add it to the correct notebook, and then delete the original one in the two notebooks. Sure would be nice to have the option to actually “move” it.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

It looks like there's a bug in iOS Gospel Library where if you use "Move to Notebook" when viewing a note in the sidebar or in Home > Annotations, it adds the note to the other notebook without removing it from the first notebook. However, if you go to Home > Notebooks > [your notebook], and move the note from there, it will correctly move from one notebook to the other, removing itself from the first notebook.
alicejensen

Post by alicejensen »

@sbradshaw

You’re absolutely right; although I doubted it was going to work, since I was certain I had tried that in past years (so either that has been fixed since my last attempt at finding a way, or my memory needs fixing ;) ). I tested it out by creating a new note in my most recent notebook. As you stated, I was able to move the note around. Glad to know that. Thanks.

Now if only the notes in each Notebooks could be arranged as most recent at top like they used to be, if I recall correctly. Any help or suggestions there would be nice. I have notebooks for each year that I study sets of scriptures, such as for the Come Follow Me year, and have referred to them in discussions for that week. A few weeks ago I did the latest update and went to pull up some of my notes (looking for specific ones) while discussing with a friend, and couldn’t find them, yet could see them them in the side bar of the scriptures in which I made them, but that proved difficult when I couldn’t remember the book nor the scripture in which I had made the note. I went to sort my notes by All Notes, but couldn’t find it. I thought that age was really taking its effects on my mind!

A few times of this in either class or my friend-discussion hour, and I decided to dig further and finally found that All Notes has been changed to Annotations and are sorted my most recent. While this is good to know, I have a few notebooks going at the same time, so that combines them all together (as All Notes did, as well). For example, it combines the notes I put in for my current Book of Mormon studies as well as for my CFM studies, so that adding a lot of notes in one week will be all in reverse chronological order. Even so, it does make it much faster to find the details and references of the note I remember creating, when I can’t find it anywhere else.

And with all that said, Notebooks and electronic note-taking in general has really improved over the years! Syncing across devices has come a long way, and it has made my Gospel study so much more effective for myself, not to mention sharing or discussing the gospel with others.

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”