Mobile app not accepting login

Any discussions around the Member Tools App on various mobile and electronic devices
bstone81

Mobile app not accepting login

Post by bstone81 »

My wife's mobile account is not accepting her login, however her online does. I've heard the problem with special characters in the password "maybe" being a problem. The only special characters she has is @ and :
My login is fine and I have * and $ and # in my password.
So my question is this, should all mobile app passwords only have letters and numbers? If so, that does not make for a very secure password.

Thoughts?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Mobile app not accepting login

Post by russellhltn »

I've never seen anything authoritative about special characters in passwords, but mobile logins keep coming up as a problem. If anyone found the solution, I don't remember it.

Given that your wife's password isn't working, I'd suggest changing it to something less likely to cause problems and see if that fixes the issue.

As for security, I'd suggest putting at least two or three words together. Singular words are far too easy to hack, even with "hacker spelling" and tacked on numbers. By using multiple words, you square or cube the dictionary making a dictionary attack much, much harder. It's also easier to have longer "passwords" which also greatly multiplies the permutation of a sequential attack.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bstone81

Post by bstone81 »

Thanks for replying!
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Passwords with special characters should work fine in the mobile apps. In cases where a person found success in changing to a password with fewer special characters, it's hard to know if it started working because they changed their password, or because they changed their password to something with only letters and numbers, or maybe just because the changed password forced a full sign-out and sign back in. Spaces in a password (for example, if your password is a sentence) should also not be an issue.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sbradshaw wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:54 am it's hard to know if it started working because they changed their password, or because they changed their password to something with only letters and numbers, or maybe just because the changed password forced a full sign-out and sign back in.
If someone is willing to be a guinea pig, it would be simple enough to change it back and see if it fails again.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
goldend

Post by goldend »

Is it not accepting login because it asked me to add a biometric verifier?
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

goldend wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:20 am Is it not accepting login because it asked me to add a biometric verifier?
It sounds to me like it is looking for a fingerprint from the reader on your device (if you have one). I use that method to log in to Member Tools on my device, but it has been a couple of years since I set it up with my Member Tools install so I don't recall the exact steps.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Member Tools does require some sort of additional authentication to open. In my case, it's a PIN, but I imagine it might also be a fingerprint if you've set that up on your device.

However, that tends to be a issue in opening the app once data is loaded. I'd think login issues happen during sync.

Return to “Member Tools”