Finding Lost Members List in LCR

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Finding Lost Members List in LCR

Post by lajackson »

mtwerner wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:56 pm I can't edit the list as elders quorum president, nor has the ward clerk been able to figure it out.
As I understand it, the Finding Lost Members List is automatically generated. A name goes on the list when the ward clerk sends a membership record out of the ward without a new address or without identifying a new ward. Although names on the list are no longer counted in unit statistics, the list provides an opportunity for the previous ward or branch to continue looking for the members.

A name would move off of the list when the record is assigned to a new ward or branch.
kd7mha

Post by kd7mha »

It appears to be the new "Moves In Progress"

I had several members in the Moves In Progress list and when I opened each one and saved it they moved to the Finding lost members list
There are 11 types of people. Those who understand Gray Code and those that don't.
mtwerner

Post by mtwerner »

Thanks, that helped! The clerk attempted to move a record and when he indicated that the new address is not known, it said the record would be moved to the Finding Lost Members list (which is what happened). Now, of course, the challenge is finding a place to send these records (other than to HQ).
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

mtwerner wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:00 pm Thanks, that helped! The clerk attempted to move a record and when he indicated that the new address is not known, it said the record would be moved to the Finding Lost Members list (which is what happened). Now, of course, the challenge is finding a place to send these records (other than to HQ).
The ward council should use that list to attempt to find out where they have moved to (it is the ward council's responsibility, not just the clerk's responsibility - he shares it as a member of the ward council). There are various ways to do that, including searching social media, contacting known friends, contacting neighbors or the new occupant of their home, etc. Once reasonable attempts have been made to find where they went to, there is not much else you can do. When they are on the Lost Members list they do not show on ward reports.

I saw an odd thing in our ward - a family was moved to that list for awhile. Then their records jumped back into the ward but each member of the family is now their own head of house all at the same address. That seems like inconsistent behavior to me, but I'm no longer the ward clerk so am leaving it to him to do something with it (or not).
greggo

Post by greggo »

I recently discovered this feature.
I'm a stake clerk, and only a handful of wards have only one or two names in these lists, and I have a number of questions that I'm hoping forum members have answers to.
How is information on these members updated? As a stake clerk, I only have the option to SEE their info. Do ward clerks have ability to add information or tips on where they can be located, or do they need to move the records back into the ward to do that? Also, do these members show up on other ward lost member lists when there is a possible connection? Maybe there are missionaries or volunteers at church headquarters also looking into finding these members?
These things would be good to know.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

greggo wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:41 am How is information on these members updated?
The records for these members are not assigned to a unit but reside in the "address unknown" database at church headquarters. A member displayed on the Finding Lost Members report cannot be updated by the unit showing the name. The last unit in which the member record resided, and then sent the record to 'address unknown, is the only unit in which the member is displayed in the Finding Lost Members report. The unit is asked to continue efforts to locate the member. To enable this effort some information about the member is displayed by clicking on the member name. None of that information is editable locally.
greggo wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:41 amDo ward clerks have ability to add information or tips on where they can be located, or do they need to move the records back into the ward to do that? Also, do these members show up on other ward lost member lists when there is a possible connection?
No information or tips can be added. The unit follows these instructions for the Finding Lost Members report:
The members shown in this list are not counted as members of the ward and will not be included in any member list, report, or any statistical report.

When a member moves out and a new address is not provided, please follow each of the steps below to obtain the member's new address. The Church needs your help locating these individuals that were last known to be in your unit. Please do the following before moving the records back to Church Headquarters:
  1. Seek to communicate using phone, email, social media channels, or other resources available to your area/community.
  2. Contact known family or friends of the member.
  3. Contact the occupant of the member's last known address.
  4. Obtain the Bishop's approval to return records to Church Headquarters.
After following these steps the unit then has the options to select Move to Other Unit, Member Found In My Unit, or Cannot Find Member. Selecting the Move to Other Unit option results in the same page as if the record currently resides in the unit and the unit is moving the record out to another unit. Selecting the Member Found In My Unit results in the same page as if the member record is being pulled into the ward. Selecting the Cannot Find Member results in the same page as when the record was originally sent to 'address unknown'.
greggo wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:41 amMaybe there are missionaries or volunteers at church headquarters also looking into finding these members?
Church service missionaries continue to attempt to locate these members also.

I have noted the members on our Finding Lost Members Report were not moved to 'address unknown' while I have been the clerk in our ward ( over 6 years 4 months) and must have been moved out before that. So I am guessing the service missionaries had no luck and they are starting the process over again hoping we may stumble on something new.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
rando305

Post by rando305 »

mtwerner wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:56 pm This just showed up in my LCR, but I can't edit the list as elders quorum president, nor has the ward clerk been able to figure it out. Are there any instructions about how to put someone on the list?
This would be very useful if we can add the 100s of people currently on our ward list that need to be found. Please provide the functionality to add people to this list from the ward clerk/eqp and rsp level.

Thanks!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rando305 wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:27 pm This would be very useful if we can add the 100s of people currently on our ward list that need to be found. Please provide the functionality to add people to this list from the ward clerk/eqp and rsp level.
Please see jdlessley's post above on how this works.

The name is added only after efforts to locate have failed. I would expect the name to have been run though the ward council before they appear on the list.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kd7mha

Post by kd7mha »

Here is a presentation that I started working on for the other clerks' in my Stake, (it's still a work in progress)

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/ ... sp=sharing
There are 11 types of people. Those who understand Gray Code and those that don't.
jpjones~ogr

Post by jpjones~ogr »

Many thanks for the presentation kd7mha !! We were recently made aware of the Finding Lost Members feature, but steps for adding records were not provided, and I found nothing obvious in Move Records Out pages. I might have eventually thought to poke buttons to see what happens.

Shortcut - In the Move Records Out process choose the No button when asked if a new address is known, and reference to Finding Lost Members magically appears. Choosing something like 'address not changing' certainly didn't help.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”