KMZ Access Removed/Inoperable for Leaders

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
davepeterson

KMZ Access Removed/Inoperable for Leaders

Post by davepeterson »

It appears that the ability to download KMZ files has been suspended/removed or maybe it is non-functional right now. Does anyone know what the situation is that ward or stake boundary KMZ files are no longer accessible?

Thanks!
BillN96

Re: KMZ Access Removed/Inoperable for Leaders

Post by BillN96 »

I am also interested in the KMZ files and why they are no longer accessible. It was requested that I retrieve a file today, wasn't able to, and then found this post. Hopefully this is just a glitch but I would like to see these files returned or have a way to download them.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

Are you referring to what's available via CDOL? (that's the only one I'm aware of for KMZ files). If so, it's interesting that I still see the entry for "Google File (KMZ)", just nothing listed underneath it. That gives me hope that perhaps there's just a bug in the system that needs addressing, as opposed to a decision to not provide them anymore.
davepeterson

Post by davepeterson »

Ah yes - I guess I totally skipped that detail, didn't I?! I am indeed referring to the capability in CDOL. I too hope that it is just temporary since the header is still there and it is just the link to the KMZ file that is missing. Hopefully they'll be able to address whatever the issue is and provide access once again.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

As an aside, I don't know if you're aware but CDOL was completely disabled a while ago, with the idea that it wasn't coming back (at least for regular local leaders), and that there would be a future replacement for the functionality available to local leaders. This was one case where it seems massive pushback had an effect -- since the replacement functionality wasn't ready when they removed CDOL, they gratefully put it back in play.

All that to say that I'm not sure any of us know what similarities/differences there will be with the new "tool" compared to CDOL. I'd hope the maps/boundaries functionality will persist, but you never know...
matt.paxman

Post by matt.paxman »

Just keeping the thread fresh. I encountered the same problem today (7 Aug 2022). I'm checking to see if church employees face the same problem and will share once I hear back.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

I started looking into this. The place CDOL normally gets these files from is missing all the KMZ files. I've started asking about what changed and will report back here when I find out more information.
davepeterson

Post by davepeterson »

Thank you very much!
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

From what I found out is that last fall they decided to discontinue the creation of KMZ files. I wasn't in the loop then so that section didn't get removed from CDOL. Since there is no source for CDOL to get those files I'll be removing that header.
davepeterson

Post by davepeterson »

Thank you for chasing that down. That is too bad that the decision was made to discontinue the KMZs. Over the years they have been incredibly helpful as we considered boundary changes, projected unit growth, etc. before going to the Boundaries & Leadership site to informally or even formally begin the process. Thanks again.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”