Class assignments, Ministering assignments and rolls

Discuss basic duties of stake and ward clerks, including where to begin.
nreece22

Class assignments, Ministering assignments and rolls

Post by nreece22 »

Hello! I am new as a clerk and to the forum. I hope this is the right place to post and not an already discussed topic.

As a new clerk I was asked to help better the rolls for 2nd hour. Many people weren't being marked on the rolls for 2nd hour since they were in primary and youth Sunday school. I suggested changing their class assignments and adding them to the rolls of the classes they were teaching in primary and youth Sunday school. This improved our rolls and overall attendance.

A couple of months into this, the RSP said the YW leaders weren't showing on her list of ministering sisters available to be assigned. I confirmed this in LCR and saw that if the class assignments for the YW leaders were gospel doctrine for Sunday School and YW classes for the alternate Sundays, they wouldnt be on the rolls or ministering lists for the RS.

Is there a way to satisfy all 3 scenarios for YW leaders?
1) Stay on the YW rolls
2) Be assigned as ministering sisters, and
3) Stay on the gospel doctrine roll?

For now I will just assign their class as RS and Gospel Doctrine. Then they can be assigned as ministering sisters, be marked for Sunday School and then the RS secretary will just have to be conscious of them and mark them accordingly. They could also be written in on the rolls as well for YW.

Any advice or suggestions welcome. This forum is a great resource. Thanks in advance for everyone's input!
eblood66

Re: Class assignments, Ministering assignments and rolls

Post by eblood66 »

Adults leaders and teachers should not be assigned to YW classes. The YW classes and roles are intended to be just the young women themselves. The adult leaders will be on the gospel doctrine rolls. That's just the way it is and you can't really change it.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

bruver2 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:05 pm Many people weren't being marked on the rolls for 2nd hour since they were in primary and youth Sunday school.
I would have a discussion with the bishop about who should be marking these members. It could be done by the respective group (RS/EQ/SS), or I believe you could do it as the clerk. Either way, it needs to be done. To what extent any effort is made to make sure the member is in primary or youth that particular week is a whole 'nother discussion.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnsonkidsdad

Post by johnsonkidsdad »

I'm the ward clerk and in our ward the adults are assigned to their correct organizations (rs/eq). The primary president and YW president have made their own sheet that has all the adults that serve in those organizations. They keep track of which adults are in attendance and mark their "roll". At the end of the quarter they give those to me and I mark them as present for the dates in LCR. The Sunday school presidency is able to mark the teachers present for the youth Sunday school.
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

johnsonkidsdad wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 10:52 pm I'm the ward clerk and in our ward the adults are assigned to their correct organizations (rs/eq). The primary president and YW president have made their own sheet that has all the adults that serve in those organizations. They keep track of which adults are in attendance and mark their "roll". At the end of the quarter they give those to me and I mark them as present for the dates in LCR. The Sunday school presidency is able to mark the teachers present for the youth Sunday school.
You may wish to consider marking the electronic roll on a more timely basis, as one purpose is so the Bishop can see and therefore other leaders will know who is attending and who is not. If it trails by 90 days or more the information is quite dated by the time you put it in. In addition, the attendance transfers to another ward if a member moves. So if you move someone out and the attendance is not marked for a long time, the new ward may think they are not active. There are a lot of purposes for the attendance being inputted on a timely basis other than just the quarterly report.

Return to “Getting Started for New Clerks”