Wheelchairs in the Temples

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
cptreft

Wheelchairs in the Temples

Post by cptreft »

After the Pandemic and years of illness, I want to return to the Temple. However, I am now confined to a wheelchair and need to elevate my legs. Before all this I used the provided wheelchairs and found them uncomfortable. Still attendance was the importance. Things have changed and to return to the Temple I need to use my Power Wheelchair. Transferring to a manual chair would be very difficult and the possibility of someone taking my personal Wheelchair is frightening to me. Is a powered wheelchair allowed into the Temple or should I just forget to ever return to the house of the Lord?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Wheelchairs in the Temples

Post by russellhltn »

I think you'll need to discuss this with your local temple. I don't know as anyone here would be able to answer that.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

I'm a 20+ year paraplegic and haven't had any problems taking my manual wheelchair into the temple. The only time I was asked to either transfer to their chair or have them put white elastic strips over all 4 tires was for a temple open house prior to a rededication. I chose the latter and the youth volunteers there had a good time doing it. :)

Other temples may operate differently, so yes, contact your local temple as russellhltn pointed out.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I have a brother who relies on a large electric wheelchair. I have been to several temples with him and there hasn't ever been an issue with him using his electric wheelchair throughout the temple. I've also been a temple ordinance worker. Many of the specific procedures in the temple can be adapted for patrons with limited motor skills or other physical challenges. You are wanted in the temple!
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
HenryEGreen

Post by HenryEGreen »

I think this will be depend the temple rules....
Geowship

Post by Geowship »

I am not confined to a wheelchair, but I often took my grandfather to church because he was paralyzed. Temples usually had wheelchairs, but they were often uncomfortable for him, so it was necessary to discuss it with temples. Almost all allowed us to enter in a personal electric wheelchair, but one said that this is forbidden by the temple's rules, which was very strange.
featheranne

Post by featheranne »

I currently serve in the temple. I know that the Lord loves all and wants all to receive the blessings of service in the temple. You are more important than any potential policies. Contact them and they will have the help you need available for you to use your chair and be comfortable while serving in the house of the Lord.

Return to “General Discussions”