Fast offering recipient signing payment check

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jms238

Fast offering recipient signing payment check

Post by jms238 »

During an audit, I have a fast offering assistance check signed by the beneficiary of the funds (a counselor in the bishopric). Between the workflow approval by the bishop and the second signature on the check, I have two additional approvals. While everything appears to be in order, it seems that I learned at one point that no one should be signing checks made out to themselves or of which he is the beneficiary. I am probably making up this policy, because I cannot find it anywhere, but wanted to check with the internet brain trust.
garystroble

Re: Fast offering recipient signing payment check

Post by garystroble »

jms238 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:10 am During an audit, I have a fast offering assistance check signed by the beneficiary of the funds (a counselor in the bishopric). Between the workflow approval by the bishop and the second signature on the check, I have two additional approvals. While everything appears to be in order, it seems that I learned at one point that no one should be signing checks made out to themselves or of which he is the beneficiary. I am probably making up this policy, because I cannot find it anywhere, but wanted to check with the internet brain trust.
You are correct, that should not have happened.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

Item 7 on the Paying Expenses of Ward Members page in the Help Center indicates that the payee should not sign the check.
jms238

Post by jms238 »

eblood66 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:18 pm Item 7 on the Paying Expenses of Ward Members page in the Help Center indicates that the payee should not sign the check.
Thank you! This was very helpful.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”