Feeding Pulpit Microphone Audio into Zoom with no "Audio Out" hookup from Pulpit

Discussions around meetinghouse sound systems, microphones, assisted listening devices, and translation equipment
brandonm35

Feeding Pulpit Microphone Audio into Zoom with no "Audio Out" hookup from Pulpit

Post by brandonm35 »

I currently stream my Ward's Sacrament Meeting via Zoom, I have an external usb "Blue" brand microphone that we set next to the pulpit for the Audio. Most Sundays this works well but the last few Sundays I've had a few folks mention that the Audio is sometimes Muffled alittle bit.

I am hardwired into the internet port that's directly on the side of the pulpit so I'm hardwired to the buildings Wifi Signal, I am wondering with that in mind if the audio issues folks are experiencing may be coming from their end or if perhaps it may be possibly on my end. and if it is on my end what options I might have available to feed the sound directly from the pulpit into my laptop instead. I know there isn't an "Audio Out" option on the pulpit anywhere, but the sound system rack is in a storage room just on the side of the chapel, would there be any possible connections on the sound rack I might be able to use to get a live feed of the audio from the pulpit posssibly.

I know they are likely redoing our sound system within the next year or so and at that point there will be an "Audio Out" hookup installed somwhere.
drepouille

Re: Feeding Pulpit Microphone Audio into Zoom with no "Audio Out" hookup from Pulpit

Post by drepouille »

My original solution was to place the webcam close to the podium, and use the mic on the webcam. Then I bought a wired Lavalier mic that had a 15-foot cord, and attached that mic to the mic boom on the pulpit. Finally, I decided to purchase a 50-foot stereo cable, which I use to connect the laptop to the Audio Out jack under the Sacrament table. Some laptops, such as Dell, allow me to use the headset jack, which automatically adapts to either TRS or TRRS plugs. However, for the Lenovo laptops that my stake purchased, that did not work. So I bought a USB dongle, which allows the connection of microphone input and speaker output.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
Wattsuk

Re: Feeding Pulpit Microphone Audio into Zoom with no "Audio Out" hookup from Pulpit

Post by Wattsuk »

So many chapels have different sound systems that it's difficult to give specific advice.

There is always a way to break an audio feed out from the in built system. The quality will almost always be better than an external solution.

The degree of difficulty varies depending on the system.
brandonm35

Post by brandonm35 »

So I went over to my Ward Building and checked for any Audio Out type connections:

There wasn't anything on the Sound Rack, but I did notice something under the Sacrament Table where the Microphone is hooked up.
it appears to be a headphone jack of sorts that would allow for recording this with a tape recorder (See the picture I included), what sort of aux cord would I
Need to use that can hook into that and then also hook directly into my laptops mic/headphone port.
Attachments
Sacrament Table Audio Out Jack.jpg
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

brandonm35 wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:14 am what sort of aux cord would I Need to use that can hook into that and then also hook directly into my laptops mic/headphone port.
Use a standard 3.5mm to 3.5mm and then plug it into this device. There's too many variables to plug it straight into your laptop. Even if you find the right adapter, it's more expensive than this device.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jarollman

Post by jarollman »

Since different wards have different setups for their computers in our building, I took a standard 3.5mm to 3.5mm cable and cut it in half, put XLR connectors on the cut ends and use a normal mic cable from the library to extend the aux cable to wherever it needs to be to feed the laptops. Works great.
kentgwen

Post by kentgwen »

I used one of the hearing assist receivers from the library. I built a voltage divider circuit to knock down the headphone signal to line level and I feed that into a USB audio interface and feed that directly into the zoom computer. To keep from having to change batteries in the receiver, I used a 12 volt wall power supply and used a 9 volt Zener diode to clamp it down to 9 volts. I mounted all this on a board so it makes it easy to setup and take down.
Webcasting computer.jpeg
circuits.jpeg
brandonm35

Post by brandonm35 »

I'm all set now thanks for the fantastic information:

I was advised to buy a specific Aux Cord to use with the USB Item Pictured, I simply plug one of of the Aux Cord into the "Audio Out" or "Tape Recording" spot that's underneath the sacrament table. and then plug the other end of the Aux Cord into this USB Item and plug that into my laptop and that provides crystal clear audio for the Zoom Streams I currently run for my ward.
Attachments
713wJi4uDBL._AC_UL116_SR116,116_.jpg
713wJi4uDBL._AC_UL116_SR116,116_.jpg (2.17 KiB) Viewed 8439 times
Sacrament Table Audio Out Jack.jpg
Sacrament Table Audio Out Jack.jpg (30 KiB) Viewed 8439 times
jimandflo12

Post by jimandflo12 »

The problem I have is that you can't pick up the organ or choir, but the speakers come across very clearly. Any suggestions? I added another mic just on a stand to see if we could hear the organ but that didn't work. Any suggestion would be appreciated.
Wattsuk

Post by Wattsuk »

If you're using a dynamic mic then you will need to position it very close to the sound you wish to hear.

The alternative is a condenser microphone. Some of which can pick up sounds a good 30 feet away.

Return to “Meetinghouse Audio”