IPad will not get past the guest wireless screeen

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
randycsmith

IPad will not get past the guest wireless screeen

Post by randycsmith »

I have a Senior Sister in our Ward who needs to connect to Liahona. We can successfully connect to the Liahona access point which then brings up the Guest Wireless Terms of Use screen. When we select “Continue to the Internet” the screen changes to a blank login screen (see attached image) and it never gets past this. I have tried to help her on Sundays and during an evening with no other events going on. I’ve also tried to get her iPad connected at different buildings in our stake. Each attempt results in the exact same blank screen.

As best as I can tell, her wireless settings are just the defaults and the same as I have on my iphone and iPad which connect just fine.
Attachments
A46B53D9-4BCE-4714-B74A-205FBE5CBF1B.jpeg
Term of Use Screen
(3.33 MiB) Not downloaded yet
D5541A51-BE8E-4D83-9BED-98367856FD18.jpeg
2nd screen that never clears.
(2.31 MiB) Not downloaded yet
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: IPad will not get past the guest wireless screeen

Post by russellhltn »

I think it's safe to say there's something unique to her iPad, otherwise we'd have a ton of messages like that.

It's either her initial screen, or it's trying to setup a VPN.

I can't tell if the network-auth.com is a Meriki site related to the church network, or perhaps her work network.

By chance, is this a "work" iPad?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Does she have any OS updates to install on her iPad?
By chance, have you tried clicking "Cancel" on the blank screen, to see if it actually did successfully connect?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
randycsmith

Post by randycsmith »

It is not a work iPad and I updated the OS to the latest this week to make sure it was not that. I agree that it is likely an issue with the iPad because I could not find other issues like this one on the forum.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'd take a careful look at the apps installed. See if any of them are of the "safer internet" verity, such as internet filtering, VPN, or some kind of accelerator.

It probably wouldn't hurt to do a scan for malware.

There have been issues with Apple devices getting to the guest screen. Someone found the setting that fixed that. I forget the details. I think it was DNS.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
randycsmith

Post by randycsmith »

Just to follow up on this thread. I solved the problem by reinstalling the the iPad OS.
jnpetersen

Post by jnpetersen »

I have noticed in some cases at our building, people have run into this issue if some one modified the DNS on the devices... Typically its per network connection, so it would be strange if someone had done that on the iPad for Liahona. The other thing could be that there are some preview features that you have to enable after the OS is installed that has prevented it from working and turning of those features (I believe it was an IP hiding privacy thing), it started working for those individuals at our buildings.
placey

Post by placey »

jnpetersen wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:12 pm I have noticed in some cases at our building, people have run into this issue if some one modified the DNS on the devices... Typically its per network connection, so it would be strange if someone had done that on the iPad for Liahona. The other thing could be that there are some preview features that you have to enable after the OS is installed that has prevented it from working and turning of those features (I believe it was an IP hiding privacy thing), it started working for those individuals at our buildings.
Exactly. I just ran into this today on my Mac. I just posted a FYI about this:
https://tech.churchofjesuschrist.org/fo ... hp?t=41213

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”