letter(s) from former spouse as part of sealing cancellation process

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
ingemarlopez

Re: letter(s) from former spouse as part of sealing cancellation process

Post by ingemarlopez »

The template (at least for the cancellation request I made for a sister in my ward) is found in the steps you have to go through in the online application (see "Steps to Complete Action"). To start the application you go to Leader and Clerk Resources
>Membership
>>Confidential
>>>Application to First Presidency
When you get to supporting documentation step you can either enter the email of the person you're trying to reach or print it so that it can be mailed.

I've NOT done a clearance request for a brother using this system, but I doubt it's different.
gregsill

Post by gregsill »

how do I get the form to have a former spouse cancelling his former temple sealing/divorce
piercee

Post by piercee »

Answer on where to find template letter:
Once you have logged into LCR, click on “membership”, under “confidential” click on “applications to the first presidency”, find the member requesting the sealing cancellation, in the “leader letter to former spouse” section, you have to mark the box that indicates you do have the address of that person and enter it into the form. Thereafter, you will find an option to “preview and print the letter.” A very helpful template is created with an option to add your own comments to this letter. I hope this helps.
rfrye

Post by rfrye »

@piercee YES. This is what everyone is looking for! At least me. I've sat on this for way too long because I didn't know how to write this letter. As soon as I clicked the box that I knew the address, everything made sense with a form letter pre-written to be sent from me and the ability to write my own comments. I wish they made the instructions for this part easier. Your comment finally got me past the hurdle I needed.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

Knowing that this exists, I can now submit feedback and specifically ask for this to be better documented. I'd think at the main "Application to the First Presidency" page, it would be very helpful for the Bishop to have some help links for the various options that are accessed there. What it seems like now, is that only after clicking through and entering info at each step, can you find out what you need (or is available) at a subsequent step. That's the feedback I'll submit.
Cheryllyn.pyle

Post by Cheryllyn.pyle »

My question is, if the woman already cancelled the sealing and the man is looking to get resealed several years later, does he need to also get a letter from the woman even though he sent her one at the time of cancellation? Also, if the sealing is already cancelled, why does the man need clearance if he already agreed to cancel it at her request?

Time sensitive, please respond asap. Thanks!
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

Cheryllyn.pyle wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:50 pm My question is, if the woman already cancelled the sealing and the man is looking to get resealed several years later, does he need to also get a letter from the woman even though he sent her one at the time of cancellation? Also, if the sealing is already cancelled, why does the man need clearance if he already agreed to cancel it at her request?

Time sensitive, please respond asap. Thanks!
This is a user-to-user discussion forum. Nobody here is here on official business. For timely, official answers, please talk with your bishop, stake president, and/or temple personnel.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Cheryllyn.pyle wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:50 pm My question is, if the woman already cancelled the sealing and the man is looking to get resealed several years later, does he need to also get a letter from the woman even though he sent her one at the time of cancellation? Also, if the sealing is already cancelled, why does the man need clearance if he already agreed to cancel it at her request?
If I understand your situation correctly, there are two different applications being discussed here. It sounds as if the sister requested a cancellation of her sealing. The former spouse (her husband) would have been asked to write a letter for that application.

Now it sounds as if the former spouse (the brother) is requesting a sealing clearance so he can be sealed again. This clearance request would require a letter from the former spouse (the sister) as part of that process.

He is not asking to have the original sealing cancelled again. He is requesting permission for himself to be sealed again. Those are two different things and require two different applications.

As rmrichesjr said, your best source of information about all of this will be your bishop or stake president. However, the process in each of these cases also is explained in the General Handbook (38.4.1.4) which is available for all to read.
snookems25

Post by snookems25 »

My ex-husband was just sealed to his new wife and I was NOT given the chance to write a letter. Is this policy really followed?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

snookems25 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:56 am My ex-husband was just sealed to his new wife and I was NOT given the chance to write a letter. Is this policy really followed?
Your question and concerns should be discussed with your bishop. The nature of your question falls outside the charter of the forum and is best answered by your local priesthood leaders. The forum is for using technology in the church as well as support for certain callings.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “General Discussions”