Missionary Mobile Device

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
tubaloth

Missionary Mobile Device

Post by tubaloth »

We just had a missionary come home. The finances person on her mission said she needs to pay for the mobile device.

Because she has extra money in her Missionary fund, I was just going to transfer some over.

Watching this video.
https://www.lds.org/help/support/missio ... =eng#watch

Shows that I should have a SPECIFIC Other account for her mobile device (with the sister missionary's name on it). But I don't have that.
We just have one other account called Mobile Missionary Device with no missionary name.

Where do I put the funds at?
Thanks
wertdl
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: Missionary Mobile Device

Post by wertdl »

This may be a great question to ask Local Unit Support, if you haven't already.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

tubaloth wrote:We just had a missionary come home. The finances person on her mission said she needs to pay for the mobile device.
Talk about a day late .....

tubaloth wrote:Because she has extra money in her Missionary fund, I was just going to transfer some over.
Bad idea. Missionary is tax deductible, mobile devices are not. You might recategorize some of the donations the family has made. That will change the tax status.

But yes, talk this over with Local Unit Support. I'm wondering if they issued the device with the expectation of getting it back and she took it with her. That would explain why they're bugging for the funds now. It's possible they want the funds or the device. Depending on her computing preferences, she might elect to return the device.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
tubaloth

Post by tubaloth »

Bad idea. Missionary is tax deductible, mobile devices are not. You might recategorize some of the donations the family has made. That will change the tax status.
How is missionary tax deductible? I have never given parents any tax form from the the church like tithing? I thought other funds were Not taxable? Missionary funds goes into an other fund. Did I miss something?

Thanks. I'll call local support.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

tubaloth wrote:How is missionary tax deductible?
In the US, donations to the Ward Missionary Fund or the General Missionary Fund are tax deductible. It may be different in other countries.
tubaloth wrote:I have never given parents any tax form from the the church like tithing?
Again, in the US the year end tax statement will include donations to tithing, fast offerings, General Missionary Fund, Ward Missionary Fund and certain select Other funds (like Temple Construction) which are all tax deductible. There is just one form and it will have all tax deductible donations listed.
tubaloth wrote:I thought other funds were Not taxable? Missionary funds goes into an other fund.
No, missionary funds should not go in an other fund. They should go in the Ward Missionary Fund which is also where the monthly charge from CHQ is placed.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

eblood66 wrote:
tubaloth wrote:I thought other funds were Not taxable? Missionary funds goes into an other fund.
No, missionary funds should not go in an other fund. They should go in the Ward Missionary Fund which is also where the monthly charge from CHQ is placed.
That is true of the monthly funds. It's part of Ward Missionary and (at least in the US) the donations are tax-deductibles and are reflected in the end of the year tax statement.

But the missionary mobile device is a sub-category of "Other" and created by SLC. If it's not there, then you can't pay it. Those donations are NOT tax deductible. Moving funds between a tax-deductible and a non-tax-deductible account is a bad idea. But with the donor's permission, you can recategorize the donation. The change will be reflected in the end of the year tax statement.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

russellhltn wrote:
eblood66 wrote:No, missionary funds should not go in an other fund. They should go in the Ward Missionary Fund which is also where the monthly charge from CHQ is placed.
That is true of the monthly funds. It's part of Ward Missionary and (at least in the US) the donations are tax-deductibles and are reflected in the end of the year tax statement.

But the missionary mobile device is a sub-category of "Other" and created by SLC. If it's not there, then you can't pay it. Those donations are NOT tax deductible. Moving funds between a tax-deductible and a non-tax-deductible account is a bad idea. But with the donor's permission, you can recategorize the donation. The change will be reflected in the end of the year tax statement.
Good clarification, especially in light of the topic of the thread!
kiman

Post by kiman »

I’ve started looking for a mobile phone (Samsung Galaxy A53 5G) for my son, and have a question. Would it be ok for me to get the phone now and put it on my Verizon account so my son can get used to the phone. Then when it comes time to go on his mission, take the SIM card out and stop or pause his plan? Would that work? Is this a common way to do it? Thank.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

kiman wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:23 pm I’ve started looking for a mobile phone (Samsung Galaxy A53 5G) for my son, and have a question. Would it be ok for me to get the phone now and put it on my Verizon account so my son can get used to the phone. Then when it comes time to go on his mission, take the SIM card out and stop or pause his plan? Would that work? Is this a common way to do it? Thank.
Yes, you can get the phone and he can use it before the mission. Just before starting the MTC you'll need to install the management software required for missionaries. That will require wiping the phone completely before installation. So if he uses the phone before his mission he'll want to make sure to backup/copy anything on the phone he wants to keep.
carolinecasper

Post by carolinecasper »

I am serving as a missionary right now and have a question about the MASS restrictions and how to alter them. My whole district from the MTC has been in the field for three weeks now but all if us still have the same technology settings restrictions from the mtc. So we are not able to access links on Facebook or anything other than Church of Jesus Christ. Everyone else in our mission is able to do this. We have also all completed the EDD apps. Just wondering how to go about changing this access to normal instead of restricted.
Attachments
Screenshot_20231208_064411_Facebook.jpg
Screenshot_20231208_064303_Messenger.jpg

Return to “Local Unit Finance”