PSA - apparently all units should have ComTek receivers

Discussions around meetinghouse sound systems, microphones, assisted listening devices, and translation equipment
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: PSA - apparently all units should have ComTek receivers

Post by russellhltn »

StevePoulsen wrote:If the existing Comtek continues to function, but more receivers are needed, new comtek, or listen receivers can be added, as they are [generally] compatible.
You must be referring to the ListenRF72 line. That threw me for a bit.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
StevePoulsen
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by StevePoulsen »

russellhltn wrote:
StevePoulsen wrote:If the existing Comtek continues to function, but more receivers are needed, new comtek, or listen receivers can be added, as they are [generally] compatible.
You must be referring to the ListenRF72 line. That threw me for a bit.

I am, the systems we use in meetinghouses both operate in the 72 MHz Range. I am not aware of any where we use the 216MHz range.
Steve Poulsen - Meetinghouse Facilities Technology Engineer
Robby10

Post by Robby10 »

This is quite an old thread. Just wondering if the Church has any current arrangements with a manufacturer where we can get a better rate than the almost $300 price tag that is shown on the Listen website?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Robby10 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:01 am This is quite an old thread. Just wondering if the Church has any current arrangements with a manufacturer where we can get a better rate than the almost $300 price tag that is shown on the Listen website?
Talk to your FM group. Typically they provide the receivers to the units that need them.

However, the preferred vendor may have changed to Listen Technologies. The DSP makes for quiet reception. The two systems are compatible with each other as they use the same 72MHz radio service.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
derrickfulkerson

Post by derrickfulkerson »

So a bishop in my Stake texted me about this and I replied I was unfamiliar with it, then he sent me pictures of the receivers they have in their clerks office, on some kind of recharging tray (a set of them).

Do these just work? Meaning, is a transmitter likely already set up somewhere and ready to go? Only saw receivers in the picture he sent.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

derrickfulkerson wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:33 am Do these just work? Meaning, is a transmitter likely already set up somewhere and ready to go? Only saw receivers in the picture he sent.
Correct. They're a standard part of the sound system and part of the rack. However, you might want to test them out. The transmitter may have died, or the antenna (which is outside of the rack, usually above it somewhere) has been mangled such that it doesn't work properly.

derrickfulkerson

Post by derrickfulkerson »

russellhltn wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 11:44 am
derrickfulkerson wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 9:33 am Do these just work? Meaning, is a transmitter likely already set up somewhere and ready to go? Only saw receivers in the picture he sent.
Correct. They're a standard part of the sound system and part of the rack. However, you might want to test them out. The transmitter may have died, or the antenna (which is outside of the rack, usually above it somewhere) has been mangled such that it doesn't work properly.
Late reply but thanks. They did, in fact, just work. I just wasn’t aware that this building had these as I don't believe our stake center has them. We’ve been due for an AV overhaul but it was delayed because of COVID. I’m guessing we’d probably get these then.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I think it's been a standard part of the rack before 2000. But unless it's used, it can die and no one notices. The problem may be as simple as the antenna has become disconnected or connections corroded.

Return to “Meetinghouse Audio”