Getting logged out multiple times a day

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
bido101

Getting logged out multiple times a day

Post by bido101 »

I have a new calling that has me using churchofjesuschrist.org and its various apps on a daily basis. Sometimes multiple times a day. I've never had to provide my user and password so many times on a Web property in my life. Well, maybe banking websites.

Is there any relief? Is there a setting somewhere that I'm missing like "Stay logged in" ?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Getting logged out multiple times a day

Post by lajackson »

bido101 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:31 pm Is there a setting somewhere that I'm missing like "Stay logged in" ?
No, you are not missing such a setting. It is not there. However, as long as you are actively using the site, you should stay signed in. I do not know what the length of the inactive timeout is, but I have gone for hours without being signed out.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

bido101 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:31 pmIs there any relief?
You can let your browser save the username and password for you, if you trust that sort of thing. It can save you quite a bit of time and keystrokes.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

lajackson wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:52 pm
bido101 wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:31 pm Is there a setting somewhere that I'm missing like "Stay logged in" ?
No, you are not missing such a setting. It is not there. However, as long as you are actively using the site, you should stay signed in. I do not know what the length of the inactive timeout is, but I have gone for hours without being signed out.
The inactive log-out time depends on the how busy the church systems are. No, there is no keep alive feature to keep one logged in if no activity on the system. If there were, it would be even harder to log in on Sunday's and other busy times.
mevans

Post by mevans »

garystroble wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:49 pm The inactive log-out time depends on the how busy the church systems are.
That explains some mysteries to me. Sometimes when I'm studying, I get logged out and the study tools don't work unless I log in again. It's kind of frustrating because the system gives you no idea that you've been logged out, and some things (I assume local JavaScript) behave like you're still logged in until they try to communicate with the church servers. Many sites (especially financial) give you a warning that you'll be logged out soon if you don't do anything. It would be nice if the church site did this.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I think log-out tends to be based on when the servers last got communication from you. What makes this tricky is that you can be actively working in the browser, but it hasn't communicated with the server in some time. As far as the server is concerned, you've walked away.

I used to experience this regularly in this forum. If I spent more than 10 minutes reading, researching and composing a response, when I went to hit the "submit" button, I'd find I was logged out and my post was lost. The trick was to make a habit of the "Preview" button which would force the browser to talk to the server. Since then, the timeout seems to have been lengthened (at least here). I can see how the same thing would happen in study tools.

mevans wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:10 amMany sites (especially financial) give you a warning that you'll be logged out soon if you don't do anything. It would be nice if the church site did this.
CDOL does. You might want to submit feedback for the study site(s) to do the same.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Main Church Website”