Requesting record from out of country

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
KellyAstle

Requesting record from out of country

Post by KellyAstle »

Hi My Name is Kelly Astle and I am the Bishop for the Vallejo 2nd Ward in Northern California. I need help moving a record into our ward for a sister who moved from the Philipins. Can anyone help me with this?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Requesting record from out of country

Post by russellhltn »

Your post was split off as it was a different topic.

This is a user-to-user support forum. No one here has the ability to do the move. But I don't think it makes any difference where her record is now, you request it the same way you'd request any other record. It's possible her birth date is scrambled because how different countries write the date (mm/dd/yyyy or dd/mm/yyyy). There's also a question of if she "Americanized" her name from how it's recorded.

If you're having problems, I'd call support and see if they can track it down.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

Kelly, we recently had a member move to our unit from Brazil, and their previous Bishop moved the record to our unit and used our church building as their new home address. He then let us know and we updated the address once we ensured it was correct. And no, we didn't know he was doing it that way, he just let us know afterwards what he had done!

All that just to say that sometimes it's easier for records to be "pushed" rather than "pulled". You might try contacting their previous Bishop and see if he can move their records from the Philippines into your ward, then you can fine-tooth anything as needed.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

BrianEdwards wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:14 am their previous Bishop moved the record to our unit and used our church building as their new home address.
If the member doesn't appear soon, the record will be on it's way to "Address Unknown" real quick. As such, I think it should be discouraged.

Rather than push when the address isn't known, I'd suggest sending an email to the new bishop. Once communication is established, it would be easy to get the details to get the right record moved. (Name and BOD as it appears on the record.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Membership Help”