Remove a record

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
jmutz

Re: Remove a record

Post by jmutz »

Will this remove the name from the LDS Tools ward directory?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jmutz wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:27 pm Will this remove the name from the LDS Tools ward directory?
I'm not sure which post you're referring to. The last one is a case of removing a non-member spouse. For that situation, yes, terminating the marriage is the correct course of action. But I wouldn't do that with a member.

I would verify that you don't have a duplicate record and that you have recorded the death of the right person. Assuming that's correct, I'd contact support. Trying things is likely to lead to more problems. Just remember that the spouse will continue to show in the Member Tools app until it syncs. Even then it might need a day to process and then a sync.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
thomaspatrickoneill

Post by thomaspatrickoneill »

Thank you for all the help. I was instructed by the Stake President to do what I could to remove the name. I came to this forum when I couldn’t get it to work on my own. After receiving a letter from the First Presidency it took but a month or so of waiting for church headquarters to see the name removed. Just a little lesson in patience.
adrianned

Post by adrianned »

jdlessley wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:50 pm Speak with the bishop before you do anything. Technically you have no ability of removing her contact information from the Directory or from Member Tools without removing it from her membership record. This is generally not a preferred option as then communication from church headquarters, the stake presidency, the bishop or other ward leaders would not be possible.

One thing you can do is set the privacy level for her contact information to "Private - leadership only". Then you can communicate to the ward council and organization presidencies her desire to not be included in general communications. The general membership would not have access to her contact information but church, stake, and ward leaders would have for important church communications.

There are other threads in the forum discussing this unique issue for members who have received communications beyond their tolerance level with some suggested approaches. You may find some suggestions that may work for her situation.
lol, the person is literally asking to not be contacted anymore. and you're giving instructions to do the exact opposite.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

adrianned wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:13 pm lol, the person is literally asking to not be contacted anymore. and you're giving instructions to do the exact opposite.
Modifying a record and not contacting that member are two different things. The issue is how to ensure the member is not contacted regularly by well intentioned leaders but still comply with the General Handbook instructions for maintaining records accurately.

If a member does not want any contact at all then the bishop should speak with the member about the options. One of those options is to remove their name from the records of the church.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
garystroble

Post by garystroble »

jdlessley wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:25 pm
adrianned wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:13 pm lol, the person is literally asking to not be contacted anymore. and you're giving instructions to do the exact opposite.
Modifying a record and not contacting that member are two different things. The issue is how to ensure the member is not contacted regularly by well intentioned leaders but still comply with the General Handbook instructions for maintaining records accurately.

If a member does not want any contact at all then the bishop should speak with the member about the options. One of those options is to remove their name from the records of the church.
Well intentioned leaders can still pray for members. Having their contact information taken off of the membership is hardly something for the leader to raise name removal over. Accurate records do not take precedent over baptism and other covenants.

Return to “Membership Help”