LDS Tools Texting - Lists not working

Any discussions around the Member Tools App on various mobile and electronic devices
larsen01

LDS Tools Texting - Lists not working

Post by larsen01 »

I recently tried to use LDS tools to create and send a group text to my elders quorum members - maybe 65 people. I created a list, then selected the list, and attempted to send out a text to the group and no one got it. I suspect there may be a capacity on the number of text recipients. I don't know , but this it is also dissapointing that it did not inform me that the text was not successful. So if i am missing in LDS tools let me know. please.

Otherwise. I'm looking for some app that has the following characteristics - because I can't see that LDS tools offers this - or does it?

- I can send a text message to people in a group (strongly prefer it to be a text message, not e.g. a Hangouts message), ideally more than 20 people.
- This message is sent directly to their phone (like SMS) and doesn't require anyone beyond the quorum presidency to download an app
- Those who receive the message can’t “reply all” and text everyone I sent the text to
- Those who receive the message an reply to the message to contact the EQ leaders (and just us)
- The entire EQ presidency would have access and permissions to send a message
- Allows us to easily make and maintain a group so we don’t have to enter everybody’s phone numbers every time, but also easy to modify the group
- Is free

Is there any available messaging platform that matches the above criteria? I tried messing with LDS tools and it doesn't seem to wri
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: LDS Tools Texting - Lists not working

Post by russellhltn »

What you may have run into is that your wireless provider limited the number of recipients. Nothing Member Tools can do about that - or know about in advance.

Odds are, you'd have to enter everyone's phone number into this app - something that could be questionable. Read the Terms of Service very carefully. It may require you to have permission from each recipient before adding them.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jkapp

Post by jkapp »

I would just like to add that many wireless providers (at least in the US) limit the number of texts that can be simultaneously sent, usually <= 20, so this feature is kind of useless for many of us. It would be ideal if there were at least a more convenient way to break them up into subgroups easily, even if it means manually resending to each group. Currently, I have to send to each individual or ministering companionship one at a time.
bradyhoggard

Post by bradyhoggard »

I would like to see a more convenient way of texting contacts lists from LDS Tools as well. It's a major inconvenience to try to manually add 20 or less contacts into individual text batches for 200 members. I'd love to see a way to more easily break out contacts or batch communication sends via text message through LDS Tools.
Text Messaging is widely used today for members of ALL ages, and the visual insights for official church communications via text message would be received at a higher rate than email.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

I would like to see a more convenient way of texting contacts lists from LDS Tools as well
As much as Forum members might agree (and we likely all do), since this Forum is primarily member-to-member discussion, it's unlikely to reach anyone in the Church's IT department tasked with considering new features. Please use the "Feedback" functionality available at the bottom of most Church web pages to communicate this request. You may feel it's going into an invisible bucket, but our hope always springs eternal that each individual drip into that bucket, will eventually gain enough weight for a feature like this to be considered.

That said, for many countries outside the USA, texting is not really a thing. For example, I personally know that in Brazil and Argentina, it seems like WhatsApp is used there to the same degree that texting is used here, and people coming to the States from those countries can't understand why we keep wanting to text them... ;)
ByronKroeger

Post by ByronKroeger »

My list does not respond when I try to send out a text to the group. I’ve used it before with no issue. What changed and how do I fix it?
CraigMifflin

Post by CraigMifflin »

I'm experiencing the same thing. I've used group lists for a few years with no issues. Now when I select my group and then tap the share button and then "send text message to group", nothing happens. Please help.
italyrm

Post by italyrm »

I am on
iPhone 13
iOS 17.1.1
Lds tools app version 4.10.0

The app allows a user to create a group - in my case a group of 8 people.

The app has an option that says “send message to group”

I click that option.

Nothing happens.

I close app and retry. Same thing.

The app, stupidly, does not allow you to export a list of phone numbers out of it to create a text in your own messaging app. I am well well below any “limited number of recipients” and this does not work. Will it be fixed?
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

Will it be fixed?
@italyrm, although there may be a Forum member or two that is an actual Church employee with knowledge of these things, they only rarely weigh in on matters like this. The rest of us Forum participants are regular church members like yourself. Your best option to get this feedback (both the bug fix and the enhancement request) into the Church system is to use the "Feedback" option inside the Tools app (or use the Feedback button at the bottom of most Church webpages).

That said, posting here is good because it allows you to see if others see similar behavior. If so, then at least you know it's not "just you". If not, then Forum members can suggest ideas about what you might do to get it to work. But actual bug fix or enhancement requests, should be routed thru the Church Feedback system.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

italyrm wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:27 am The app has an option that says “send message to group”

I click that option.

Nothing happens.
I'd image the app uses whatever is set as a default messaging app. Is one set and is functional?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Member Tools”