Can I kick connected devices off of the Liahona Network?

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
jihnen1982

Re: Can I kick connected devices off of the Liahona Network?

Post by jihnen1982 »

Thank you all for the input! @craigkehl, this is a great idea! The only major problem is that the majority of the people connecting to the network in this building are older and not very tech savvy. I can understand how this was a pain. Which is why I feel like it would be easier to just disable the APs to prevent new connections during the meetings. We are also looking at switch ISPs to get better upload speeds. 8Mps is super frustrating to try to deal with. Thanks again for all the suggestions!
jamiep39

Post by jamiep39 »

The idea with Liahona having the splash page/captive portal is that, even though those devices automatically connect, they don't actually get past the firewall until they accept the terms. If they never get on their device and accept the terms, their device will not have an internet connection via the meetinghouse wifi so it won't start syncing or anything in the background, even though it'll show as connected. They may have some affect on the wireless performance in the building, but shouldn't affect your internet speeds on the wired at all. I'd highly suggest hard wiring in these cases if you're not already.
Attila

Post by Attila »

rmrichesjr wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 12:27 pm
russellhltn wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:31 am If you've disabled Lithonia and they're still connected, that suggests you have a rogue WiFi somewhere.
What's Lithonia?
The name of Nephi's ship. :D
aonu

Post by aonu »

Hi l'm a TS at our ward so the trick for this things is for you to disable internet access that heads to the access point, lf any networks are also available do disable. Also check that the clerk's computer is off and you are good to go instead of my network going 75mbs it runs up to 105mbs

Try it , it works
moonman239

Post by moonman239 »

Software engineer here (so not familiar with Church technology)

Some routers allow you to prioritize traffic, and I'm wondering if that's a viable option here.

You basically tell the router how important each device is, and the router will care more about providing good-quality Internet to that device than to the others.

So if every device on the network is competing for bandwidth, the presidents, teachers, meeting Webcams, etc. will get a better quality of service than Sister Rando's iPad.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

moonman239 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:38 am Some routers allow you to prioritize traffic, and I'm wondering if that's a viable option here.
Quality of Service (QoS) is available with the routers the church provides. However, the routers are not managed locally. They are managed by church headquarters.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

moonman239 wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:38 am Some routers allow you to prioritize traffic, and I'm wondering if that's a viable option here.
That might work for upload, but not for download. As far as I know, any QoS has to be set up before the bottleneck, not afterwards. Depending on the protocol, the upload may depend on timely response, so control of the download is needed as well.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”