LDS Tools and SMS / Text Messaging

Any discussions around the Member Tools App on various mobile and electronic devices
pabloh007

Re: LDS Tools and SMS / Text Messaging

Post by pabloh007 »

Hey Everyone,
Just pushed out a feature that may help some users. Depending on the volume of contact a text message contains it may be filtered by the carrier. Even though the limit of 1 sms per second is respected by twilio carriers have their own filters. Introduced a rate-limit feature if you are getting messages filtered. It is not publicly disclosed what criteria carriers use to filter. To enable go to ward settings and enable
Screen Shot 2022-07-19 at 4.05.34 PM.png
You can set how often release messages per interval.

So let's say you have a message that will go out to 100 contacts.
It would send the first 50, and then schedule the next 50 to go out in the next 5 minutes.
dennismsean

Post by dennismsean »

Thanks Pabloh007!
Keep up the great work with this very useful tool.
pabloh007

Post by pabloh007 »

An update on the throttling message releases. Instead of counting an sms to a contact Ive updated to count the number of segments. So far testing looks good and very small amount of filtered messages. While I'm still working out what is the best rate for now this works well. You can also read up on a more full explanation about segments.

TLDR
Segments is the way twilio sends to carrier messages the longer your message the more segments you user per contact.
https://ward-notification-pager.io/about
pabloh007

Post by pabloh007 »

Hello everyone I hope this message finds you well. There have been quite a few updates to the ward messaging application.

- Updates on throttle message delivery to avoid messages being classified as spam
- SMS message editor now calculates segments and non GSM characters
- FAQ includes document explaining how organizations/groups work in the app
- Contact Page now includes a message field (Specify if you want an account right away or just a demo account access)
- One time use numbers when composing SMS messages (If you target a group/org and only need to copy a person once, you can enter up to 15 temp numbers)

Overview on how groups/organization work in the application, It is actually quite flexible on you can organize groups of contacts
https://ward-notification-pager.io/1c64 ... 9eef0a.pdf

Overview how you connect twilio with the application
https://ward-notification-pager.io/308e ... 44ae56.pdf

If you want to use the app, hit me up on the contact page and let me know if you need a access to a demo account or if you need a ward created for you to use along with any emails of users that will need access to your ward.
https://ward-notification-pager.io/contact

You can report bugs/feature/comments to my email which you will get once you start using the app.
pabloh007

Post by pabloh007 »

Hey Everyone Add support to the app to be a bit more tailored depending on ward type.
YSA, Standard, Seminary Class.

You can now have a seminary class created for your stake or ward. I'm from California so the seminary class may be bit different . For instance we have a couple of seminary classes for the whole stake so we are starting by onboarding 1 class and see how it goes. In a nutshell it's a WARD with less organizatins/groups that is a bit more helpful. Same features as a full ward and users can create orgs/groups to tailor the needs.

The ward type now appears in most menus so you will see if it's standard, ysa, or seminary.

If you want to use the app, hit me up below and in the comment write the type of ward you are looking for. (standard,ysa, or seminary)

Thanks!
Vaccano

Post by Vaccano »

@pabloh007 -

That app looks amazing! I have been toying with writing something like that for a while.

Too bad there is no way to integrate it with the Church's site so you don't have to import all the contacts again!

I am a bit worried that my Bishop will not want me to upload all the contacts into a system that I don't own. (I sure hope he will let me do it!)

Either way, thank you for all the hard work on making this site, and sharing it with us all!
pabloh007

Post by pabloh007 »

Hey @Vaccano, For seminary one thing the teacher did before using the app is ask the parents permissions to be contacted by text in a signup sheet. That gives you consent to add those numbers to the system. Or you can use a google doc form to get's people consent. The app also allows you to send an enrollment message and contacts can opt out if the choose to. The app will record them as unsubscribed contacts which you can then delete them as twilio wont allow you to send messages to them either way.
anrol70

Post by anrol70 »

Is there an updated app for YSA communications via text?
pabloh007

Post by pabloh007 »

Yes we do have some YSA ward using the app now. Whenever you are treads to try submit your info here

kirkmeyers

Post by kirkmeyers »

If there is a ward out there using this not only for ward level communications but also for the various organizations on a regular basis I would love to understand what your Twilio costs look like? I'd really hate to get this setup and get everyone onboard using it only to find out the cost is somewhat prohibitive if we use it as intended and frequently across the ward. Thanks!

Return to “Member Tools”