Church IT having trouble with legacy emails like Yahoo and AOL?

Seen something newsworthy about the technology that the Church uses? Let everyone else know by posting here.
BrianEdwards

Re: Church IT having trouble with legacy emails like Yahoo and AOL?

Post by BrianEdwards »

As with the LCR Finance notice the Church (finally) put up, until there is some sort of "official" guidance from above, everyone's frustrations will continue to be combined with general confusion and a sense that the Church isn't prioritizing the issue. While some members/leaders are clued into the Tech forum (or other discussions like in the O.P.), many or even most leaders aren't really aware of the ongoing issues. My personal thought is it would be ideal for the Church to either turn off the functionality until it's working as intended, or provide "official" workarounds based off of what the actual Church IT department knows is going on (and not just our limited guesses based on personal communications or experience).

I'm grateful there's this landing place, otherwise there really wouldn't be any way for regular members/leaders to understand the scope of what they are locally experiencing, and to get some hope that the Church is actually trying hard to resolve the problem.
caillines

Post by caillines »

There is now a notice on the "Send a Message" page
The Church’s email delivery via “Send a Message” in Leader and Clerk Resources has been problematic for the past several weeks. Some email providers are currently blocking email traffic from Church servers.

Church engineers are actively working on the problem both internally, with external vendors and email providers. There appears to be no “quick fix” for the issue and may continue for some time. For the best probability of not being blocked, we recommend:

Email messages sent via “Send a Message” be sent during the week instead of near peak hours of Saturday and Sunday.
Members verify that the email addresses on their Church account are correct.
Thank you for your patience as we work through email delivery problems.
They say several weeks, rather than many months, but at least there's a notice now.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

garystroble wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 12:39 pm There are plenty of options available besides marking legitimate emails as spam:
Contact the sender and ask to receive less emails.
Either change or remove your email address from your membership profile or ask the ward clerk to do so.
Set up a separate email just for the Church and put that email address in your profile.
I am sure tech savvy folks can think of others.
Most email clients will let you setup folders and automatically file certain email into a specific folder. That way they can look at them, or not, but it shouldn't impact their normal flow of email.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
gnarlymarley

Post by gnarlymarley »

The individuals I have talked to are not able to find the church messages in any folder. I know gmail starts blocking (which means the church would get a bounce) if enough people mark it as spam. I am not sure how to find the yahoo account that would have marked it as spam without the church's SMTP server logs showing why it bounced.
draked12

Post by draked12 »

Just a quick question - Our Stake Executive Secretary sends out messages via LCR Messenger to our High Council Organization and I am not receiving the emails at my @yahoo.com email address. Based on what I’ve read here, it sounds like I need to change my email to another account?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

draked12 wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:32 pm Based on what I’ve read here, it sounds like I need to change my email to another account?
That's the fastest "fix" that's under your control.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

draked12 wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:32 pm Based on what I’ve read here, it sounds like I need to change my email to another account?
Or you might let your executive secretary know that you do not receive his messages through LCR, and that if he wishes for you to get them he will need to resend them individually to you after he sends them through LCR.

I am a little torn on the subject. On the one hand, I have email for my convenience, not the convenience of the Church. On the other hand, I wish to receive communication from my leaders. That said, I have a valid email address and have no desire to change it at the moment.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

lajackson wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:53 am
Or you might let your executive secretary know that you do not receive his messages through LCR, and that if he wishes for you to get them he will need to resend them individually to you after he sends them through LCR.

I am a little torn on the subject. On the one hand, I have email for my convenience, not the convenience of the Church. On the other hand, I wish to receive communication from my leaders. That said, I have a valid email address and have no desire to change it at the moment.
You could create an account at another provider and have it forwarded to your main email account that way you don't have to change what you are used to and you should be able to get those messages (I haven't tested this to see if they still get blocked by the providers)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

jonesrk wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:07 pm You could create an account at another provider and have it forwarded to your main email account that way you don't have to change what you are used to and you should be able to get those messages (I haven't tested this to see if they still get blocked by the providers)
Based on what others have posted, it's likely to fail. I'm not sure why since I'd think the message would be "from" the forwarder.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

lkrsfn

Not receiving emails

Post by lkrsfn »

We have a problem in our ward where a member of the Ward Council does not get emails sent through the church site (including ones she sends). Would be interested to know more if this gets resolved.

Return to “In The News”