Discontinuation of AMFA categories

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Discontinuation of AMFA categories

Post by lajackson »

barneja wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 4:59 pm Not all of us have checks anymore --
My "checking" account does not allow me to write personal checks. I had one that did, and the only checks I wrote for over two years were to the Church. Then I was forced for unrelated reasons to change banks and my current checking account does not allow for check writing.

So the workaround for me is to use my bank Bill Pay service and make the bank write and mail the check when there is not a category to use at the Online Donation site.

Some countries do not have checks at all. Somehow the Church has managed to adapt there. And I have told the story before of a General Authority Seventy called from Europe and assigned to Church headquarters who had to open a U.S. checking account to pay his tithing. He had not written a check in over 15 years, and he was instrumental in the effort to get online donations established by the Church in the U.S. I was able (almost) to end the use of my bank bill pay system.

I agree with your assessment that putting hundreds of local accounts online to facilitate donation would not only be difficult, but likely an unwanted flag for the U.S. tax system. There has always been a concerted effort to stop the tax deduction of all charitable contributions.

I am now in a position (i.e., old enough) to pay my tithing through qualified charitable distributions (QCD) from my individual retirement account (IRA). Oddly enough, the federal government requires my IRA custodian to write a paper check and mail it. There is no provision in the law for an electronic transfer of the funds.

We still live in a curious world. At least I do not have to go fishing to get money to split between my taxes and my tithes and other offerings. (Matthew 17:27; 22:21; Luke 20:25.)

I can only imagine how fascinating it would be to make my new Tithing Declaration. Well, bishop, I really prefer the Zoom Magnum Ultra Vibe Speed Craw Lure for all my tithing needs. You should try it. And the ward already has a Zoom account. [grin]

Return to “Local Unit Finance”