Tax ID numbers....Does each Ward have one?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
waynecooke

Re: Tax ID numbers....Does each Ward have one?

Post by waynecooke »

For future reference in a situation such as yours, I would recommend working through LDS Philanthropies. Your donation there can be directed to any of the Church contribution accounts, tithing, fast offering, etc. In the past, you could not contribute to a ward missionary fund, but it appears from their page that you are now able to do so.

I am sure this was a 'mis-type'. Tithing cannot be paid through LDS Philanthropies. It is true that Humanitarian can, as I have done for a few years, but Tithing cannot. According to the LDS Philanthropies website: https://www.ldsphilanthropies.org/curre ... ortunities donations can be made to the four Church colleges and Pathways, Humanitarian Services, Church General Fund (which I was not aware of), Family History/FamilySearch Fund, Perpetual Education Fund, General Missionary Fund. In other words, basically the non-tithing options on the donation slip.

One of the advantages of using LDS Philanthropies for donations to the places they allow, is you can have them charged to your credit card, and get what ever benefits you get from it. Since we now have the Online option for paying tithing and F.O., we should never have to write another check to the Church. ;) .
waynecooke

Post by waynecooke »

lajackson wrote:
For future reference in a situation such as yours, I would recommend working through LDS Philanthropies. Your donation there can be directed to any of the Church contribution accounts, tithing, fast offering, etc. In the past, you could not contribute to a ward missionary fund, but it appears from their page that you are now able to do so.

Even though that page refers to IRA qualified charitable distributions, the same process works for other donations on your behalf from various institutions, as well. There is a phone number to call where you will be able to get answers to specific questions you may have. The EIN to be used is also on that page.

I am sure this was a 'mis-type'. Tithing cannot be paid through LDS Philanthropies. It is true that Humanitarian can, as I have done for a few years, but Tithing cannot. According to the LDS Philanthropies website: https://www.ldsphilanthropies.org/curre ... ortunities donations can be made to the four Church colleges and Pathways, Humanitarian Services, Church General Fund (which I was not aware of), Family History/FamilySearch Fund, Perpetual Education Fund, General Missionary Fund. In other words, basically the non-tithing options on the donation slip.

One of the advantages of using LDS Philanthropies for donations to the places they allow, is you can have them charged to your credit card, and get what ever benefits you get from it. Since we now have the Online option for paying tithing and F.O., we should never have to write another check to the Church. ;) .
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

waynecooke wrote:I am sure this was a 'mis-type'. Tithing cannot be paid through LDS Philanthropies.
It appears that you are correct about tithing not being paid through LDS Philanthropies. But in looking back over that page again, it also appears that you can make IRA Qualified Charitable Distribution contributions that include Tithing by contacting the Donations Department, according to the instructions on that same LDS Philanthropies page. The page includes information about both kinds of contributions with two different contact points to coordinate the transfer from an IRA.
waynecooke

Post by waynecooke »

And you had better be sure I am going to do that this year, use my 'pre-tax' dollars to pay Tithing. It makes a lot of sense to me.
jmskarda

Re:

Post by jmskarda »

00dave wrote:Thanks for the info. I just called and was told that it's now just one number for the entire church, which is 23-7300405. (also found here... http://www.ldsphilanthropies.org/planne ... tions.html)
The Church has a new tax ID number as of a year or two ago. It is now 87-0234341 (instead of 23-7300405). Anyone relying on this should verify this via an official source to be sure that it is correct.

I know I'm responding to a very old post. However, this is the thread that came up when I was googling for the Church's tax ID. If it has the old tax ID, it should also have the new one.
ericschultz14

Post by ericschultz14 »

Current feedback that I got from calling the church tax guys is that the whole church uses the IRS Group Exemption No. 5376 for donations or discounts to any ward/stake/church generally.
brent.taft

Re: Re:

Post by brent.taft »

jmskarda wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:17 pm
00dave wrote:Thanks for the info. I just called and was told that it's now just one number for the entire church, which is 23-7300405. (also found here... http://www.ldsphilanthropies.org/planne ... tions.html)
The Church has a new tax ID number as of a year or two ago. It is now 87-0234341 (instead of 23-7300405). Anyone relying on this should verify this via an official source to be sure that it is correct.

I know I'm responding to a very old post. However, this is the thread that came up when I was googling for the Church's tax ID. If it has the old tax ID, it should also have the new one.
As of Dec 2023, "87-0234341" is still correct for the general church Tax Exempt tax ID. Each stake does have an EIN which is for issuing 1099's if needed. This is what the church tax dept told me when I called and asked about what number to use for setting up a texting service for my ward.

you can check the tax ID here:
https://apps.irs.gov/app/eos/

Return to “Local Unit Finance”