Sacrament Program Integration

Any discussions around the Member Tools App on various mobile and electronic devices
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Sacrament Program Integration

Post by russellhltn »

1968leocomeeatabite wrote:The following article on LDS.org "Use of Online Resources in Church Callings" indicates that we should never replace the printed program or bulletin board with an electronic copy.
https://www.lds.org/pages/online-resour ... s?lang=eng
While we're at it: "Websites, blogs, and social media profiles should not duplicate tools and features that are already available on LDS.org."
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Lwarrenward

Post by Lwarrenward »

In our ward, at the start of Covid when everyone thought paper programs were a health risk, our program person started putting it online with QR code access.

The result: the QR code is there, and no one really accesses it. We are all "in the zone" for church to start. The physical program is useful for people of all ages and keeps people off their phones and in the moment.

What is the weekly cost for program printing? Is it 1.5c/sheet, so $1.50/week? Let's double that, so $3/week, $150/year? What's the cost for ongoing support of a new tool that needs updates, fixes, etc. in IT support as well as server hosting, energy usage for that and everything else, plus that much more load on the overtaxed internet inside Church buildings? You're really saying we should be hiring people in Church IT for permanent positions, teams that do grow over time, to replace the paper we're using. And if we must always print them for the elderly, then what cost are we really incurring to double that for everyone else to use?
shnewman

Post by shnewman »

Our bishopric meeting just independently thought of this, and I was not surprised that others have also had this thought.
I'm just replying as a +1.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

Since this post has been "resurrected" :) I'll just add that a current viewing of the help center article listed earlier in the thread:
Use of Online Resources in Church Callings
does not currently mention the "Additional Best Practices" note about not replacing printed sacrament meeting programs with a digital equivalent. Or for that matter, with nothing at all. Of course that's the wonderful thing about online docs, they can change at any time, in either small or large ways, and what we thought we knew can suddenly become outdated...

I just wanted to share this for anyone finding this Tech Forum thread and also finding that definitive statement about printed sacrament meeting programs, it seems what was true in 2015 has changed for 2022. And I'm also aware that what was true on Nov 30 2021 (the last time the Help Center doc was updated), is perhaps itself now outdated! There may be more-current policy regarding printed sacrament meeting programs, but I couldn't find anything official with my (minimal) searching. Thus, local leaders can follow their inspiration to determine what is best for their congregations.
1968leocomeeatabite

Post by 1968leocomeeatabite »

BrianEdwards wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:53 am Since this post has been "resurrected" :) I'll just add that a current viewing of the help center article listed earlier in the thread:
Use of Online Resources in Church Callings
does not currently mention the "Additional Best Practices" note about not replacing printed sacrament meeting programs with a digital equivalent. Or for that matter, with nothing at all. Of course that's the wonderful thing about online docs, they can change at any time, in either small or large ways, and what we thought we knew can suddenly become outdated...

I just wanted to share this for anyone finding this Tech Forum thread and also finding that definitive statement about printed sacrament meeting programs, it seems what was true in 2015 has changed for 2022. And I'm also aware that what was true on Nov 30 2021 (the last time the Help Center doc was updated), is perhaps itself now outdated! There may be more-current policy regarding printed sacrament meeting programs, but I couldn't find anything official with my (minimal) searching. Thus, local leaders can follow their inspiration to determine what is best for their congregations.
Thank for your time in researching this. This is helpful.

Return to “Member Tools”