no more classic maps

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
danielminnich

no more classic maps

Post by danielminnich »

Is the church planning on something to replace classic maps? I love to follow my kids and ward members on their missions and the meetinghouse locator does not have mission and stake boundaries outside of your home stake. At one time the church produced large PDF mission boundary maps, and when they discontinued that they sent us to Classic maps. Now I hear that Classic maps is going away on October 15, 2022. Will there be a way to access mission boundaries for the church?
chrisgrant

Re: no more classic maps

Post by chrisgrant »

I also like classic maps because they quickly gave me some idea of how ward boundaries tend to be drawn, which I've used as guidance for boundary re-alignments I've been involved with.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

Seems official -- this banner is currently shown at the top of the classic maps page, which (for now) can be accessed via the Site Map page, and then the "Find by Using the Map (All Types of Locations)" link:
Please be aware that Classic Maps will be retired on October 15, 2022. Map resources still available include Find a Meetinghouse or Ward and Ward Directory and Map (Church members only). PF Maps users (Church employees only), please go to PF Maps 2.0.
As with many others, throughout the years I've found multiple helpful uses for classic maps.

Going forward, it seems like access to boundary details outside one's Stake will be removed. The Find a Meetinghouse maps do show building locations, which gives a potential general idea of "who worships where", but nothing specific.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

BrianEdwards wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:26 am Going forward, it seems like access to boundary details outside one's Stake will be removed.
Bishoprics, Stake Presidencies, including clerks and secretaries still have access to PDF maps in CDOL.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

I had assumed the restored CDOL access was just a temporary stopgap and would eventually also be removed (as it seems was the original intent). But while it lasts (and I hope it does!), you're correct that's an option.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

BrianEdwards wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:26 pm I had assumed the restored CDOL access was just a temporary stopgap and would eventually also be removed (as it seems was the original intent). But while it lasts (and I hope it does!), you're correct that's an option.
I think a replacement to CDOL is being developed. As long as the PDF maps are still being created and don't go the way of the KLM files, I don't think that will disappear.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
danielminnich

Post by danielminnich »

I would use the info on Classic maps and convert it to a wall map and print out a poster sized mission map for kids in my ward and family members going on missions. After the 15th I won't have access to mission boundaries anymore. kind of sad. I wish they had a way to access that information. I wonder if I could get a GIS shape file or something like that?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

It looks like letter sized PDFs are still available from CDOL. Ask the clerk to retrieve them for you.

GrasseDD

Post by GrasseDD »

From an e-mail sent me by the Meetinghouse Locator Response Team: "The Meetinghouse Locator Classic LDS Maps view has been permanently discontinued".
aldixon

Post by aldixon »

What has happened to Classic Maps. Every day I talk with people from all over the world using Facebook. I have a Facebook page "Alan Dixon's Spiritual and Inspirational Thoughts" where I post each day several quotes from the prophets and apostles and others. New friends following my page want to talk with me. So instead of chit chatting with them, I share my testimony and ask them if they would like the missionary contact information, so they can contact the mission office and request the missionaries to teach them. If they say yes, I ask for their city and country where they live. I used Classic Maps to locate which mission they live in and give my friend the mission office contact information. I instruct my friend to contact the mission office and tell them, Alan Dixon from Utah USA and a member of their church, referred them to the missionaries to be taught more about Jesus Christ, His restored church and the living prophet on the earth today. I tell them to make sure they give their name, email address, phone number, postal address, city they live in and to make sure they ask for the missionaries to teach them more about Jesus Christ.

Over the past two+ years I have talked with thousands of people from all over the world and shared my testimony with most of them. I have giving out the mission office contact information to over 1,000+ friends. I know of over 30 friends who have been baptized and there may be many more that I'm not aware of yet. Using Facebook has been a wonderful way for me to share the gospel to any one around the world.

But I need to find the mission boundaries and the mission office contact information to continue sharing my testimony every day,

Is the another place I can access this information or is Classic Maps coming back?

Return to “General Discussions”