Increase limit of devices attached to the NoSplash Group Policy

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
derrickfulkerson

Increase limit of devices attached to the NoSplash Group Policy

Post by derrickfulkerson »

Is it possible to increase the number of devices we can add to the NoSplash Group Policy? Our Stake Center is an active building that hosts two seminaries, with multiple smart TVs and devices in addition to a couple of wireless printers. Is there any way we can increase our limit through a special request?

Thanks in advance.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Increase limit of devices attached to the NoSplash Group Policy

Post by russellhltn »

I can't find the article, but I thought the limit was 15 and could be expanded by contacting MHT. However, I'm sure they're going to be interested in the usage case.

I suspect the only way you're going to go over 15 is if you've been adding people instead of solving the connectivity problems. It would be interesting to see MHT's reaction.

I'd suggest having them go to https://guestwirelesstermsofuse.churchofjesuschrist.org rather than fighting to get the pop-up. It would be worth exploring if that would solve the unfortunate time out situation (if that hasn't been resolved already).
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
derrickfulkerson

Post by derrickfulkerson »

We aren’t adding people, it’s all devices, mostly smart TVs.

Thanks for the input!
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

derrickfulkerson wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:15 pm We aren’t adding people, it’s all devices, mostly smart TVs.
I guess the question is, do ALL the smart TVs need access to the Internet? If a device doesn't respond to the splash screen (like, TVs, printers, etc.), they still have full access to the local network.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
RyanGard1977

Post by RyanGard1977 »

I was once told that teachers should be bringing lessons already downloaded onto personal devices that they can then link up to the TVs and that they should not rely on the internet in order to be able to show lesson materials. Anyone else/
Ryan Gardner
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

RyanGard1977 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:58 pm I was once told that teachers should be bringing lessons already downloaded onto personal devices that they can then link up to the TVs and that they should not rely on the internet in order to be able to show lesson materials. Anyone else/
True. Unfortunately, not everything is available for download. Apparently, the left hand didn't consult with the right hand.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

RyanGard1977

Post by RyanGard1977 »

Well darn it, I wish they would work on their communication.
Ryan Gardner
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

russellhltn wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:30 pm
RyanGard1977 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:58 pm I was once told that teachers should be bringing lessons already downloaded onto personal devices that they can then link up to the TVs and that they should not rely on the internet in order to be able to show lesson materials. Anyone else/
True. Unfortunately, not everything is available for download. Apparently, the left hand didn't consult with the right hand.
What's also true is not every personal device can be hooked up to a TV. We have a myriad of adapters available, but there's always an outdated, cutting-edge, or just an oddball form factor that isn't supported for our TVs (yet).
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Agreed. I thought we had all adapters needed until someone showed up with a laptop that had a mini-HDMI port. We don't have a cable or adapter for that. We do have one old and one new Chromecast, but nobody appears to be comfortable using them. They always ask for help at the last moment, and are not interested in testing/practicing their setup before church begins.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”