Honeywell Redlink Total Comfort registration

For things that just don't fit anywhere else.
kent.smith

Honeywell Redlink Total Comfort registration

Post by kent.smith »

I have Noted that our building has Honeywell thermostats, as well as redlink gateways to the internet all active. I have researched these systems in detail and found it allows remote control and monitoring of our A/C and heating. Also Honeywell Total Comfort website allows user to share access to others via the web and Phone apps.

Our Stake President has requested the ability to set a temperature of his offices and building which he could trigger or other leadership can trigger ahead of time so the building is at temp for Baptisms, Return missionaries, special meetings, etc. Can I get a total comfort share for our stake center, or shall I register the gateways directly to a stake account and share the access directly?
If neither is an option, can FM install their own remote controllable thermostats?

Thanks
--Kent
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Honeywell Redlink Total Comfort registration

Post by lajackson »

kent.smith wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:31 am I have researched these systems in detail and found it allows remote control and monitoring of our A/C and heating.
Our FM group is in the process of installing these gateways in our buildings as well. They are going behind the firewall and into a special port on the managed switch.

The FM group told us that the Church will be controlling the thermostats. I was not able to extract any detail as to whether that meant Salt Lake or the local (200 miles away) FM group.

When our stake center was first built a number of years ago, the thermostats were not working at all. I finally got through the GSC to the right person at Headquarters who agreed that their controls were not working. I asked if that might be because there was no internet service to the building.

The fine fellow in Salt Lake said that was not possible. The thermostats at the new building could not be controlled without Internet access. I assured him that the folks who should have ordered Internet service had not done so and that we had at least a month wait still before an ISP could get the lines run and service started.

The fine fellow in Salt Lake told me where to go in the attic and gave me the codes to that I could manually set the building temperature for that first month. I noticed that once Internet service was installed, the codes he gave me no longer worked.

So while what your stake president asks for is possible, I do not believe he will get it. However, after I called the FM Group Manager's cell phone during his sacrament meeting a few times to complain about the sweltering heat in our sacrament meetings, our thermostats got changed to more reasonable temperature settings.
kent.smith

Post by kent.smith »

Thanks for the input.
I checked more closely, most of the gateways were not fully installed and what was installed was throwing errors probably due to missing thermostats.
I also did some study, and found that you cannot control key features of the thermostats (min, max temps) but you can control general scheduling, so it is probably a FM work in progress or discovery activity.
RyanGard1977

Post by RyanGard1977 »

The church indeed does not want anyone but the FM group and it's HVAC contractors to have control over the settings on the thermostats. I do believe that a FM Manager should accommodate reasonable temperature occupied settings and unoccupied settings. Generally occupied cool is going to be 71-73 degrees depending on where you are at, and occupied heat will be between 67-71. Each building is different, no one temperature setting works perfect. Where one person will be very comfortable, another will be extremely hot or extremely cold. The Redlink thermostats should allow you to temporarily adjust the temperature up or down for better comfort, unless that feature has been locked out.

We had to lock out that feature at a building where members got into a shoving match because one claimed it was too hot in the chapel and another's wife said it was too cold. We told everyone the temperature was going to be set to 72 for cool and 68 for heat and if that wasn't good enough, please dress accordingly.

Bishop's offices tend to be set a bit on the cooler side per their requests, along with nursery and primary rooms. Or sides of the building that take the brunt of the sunshine.
Ryan Gardner
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

Ryan, thank you for the heads-up about the general temperature settings. I'm surprised the reported settings are that low. Proper room temperature has historically been considered to be 72. More recent research literature points to a general consensus toward a temperature higher than 72. Even under the Carter administration's Emergency Building Temperature Regulations, chapels were allowed to be heated to 72 during the times children were present. I have heard HVAC professionals recommend cooling only to 75. With medical research showing that higher room temperatures reduce transmission rates of respiratory viruses and with the great concerns about such viruses the past couple of years, I'm surprised the minimum heat temperature isn't at least 72. If the thermometer I usually bring to meetings ever sees lower than 69.0 without remedy from the powers that be, I'll be exploring the feasibility of bringing a battery-powered personal space heater (maybe around 300W).

Return to “Other Meetinghouse Technologies”