Conference problems on Roku and lds.org?

Discussions around receiving, originating, and holding Church broadcasts and conferences in meetinghouses including schedules, setup, equipment, and support.
mevans

Conference problems on Roku and lds.org?

Post by mevans »

While I was at the church yesterday tending the satellite, my family couldn't get conference to work on the Roku...it just never started the program. I'm not sure if they tried both the Mormon channel and the BYU channel, or just the Mormon channel. They're asleep now, so I'll find out later. They ended up going to lds.org on a computer to watch conference.

Meanwhile, I was a the stake center and when I was trying to figure out the clicking problem on the satellite, I tried going to lds.org on my laptop to watch the conference. It never started for me there. I ended up going to the BYU TV web site and was able to get conference to work there.

So, it seems like some of the streaming systems weren't working as well as they normally do...
mevans

Re: Conference problems on Roku and lds.org?

Post by mevans »

I'm looking at things this morning at home on our Roku (during Music and the Spoken Word):
  • LDS Channel: doesn't work. If I press Play or Play All, the screen blinks and comes back to the Play/Play All screen.
  • BYU TV Live: works.
And on LDS.org, if I choose to watch general conference live, it's showing Saturday's conference, not Music and the Spoken Word. It's been so long since I've had to watch things on LDS.org, I don't know about Music and the Spoken Word. I thought I remembered seeing it live on LDS.org in the past. Do they now show it now?
mevans

Post by mevans »

I thought I remembered problems in the past, so now I'm replying to my own thread again....

Our experience watching conference yesterday was this:
  • Mormon Channel on Roku: Video periodically dropped and we got a blue screen with the church logo. Audio seemed to keep up.
  • BYU TV on Roku: Conference seemed to play just fine
Somewhat recently, I don't even think the Mormon Channel on Roku was working at all, so I'm glad something's working there now. My family likes watching the Mormon channel because we get the in-between conference programs (like the world report) and we don't get BYU TV commercials.

I'm wondering if this is an issue with the Mormon Channel in general, or if its performance is different on other platforms (for example, Roku vs. Apple TV). For example, I'm not sure if each the church has to set up separate servers for the feeds for each device, or if they all end up pulling from the same server and they just program different device-specific apps that pull from the same feed. Mormon Channel on Roku has worked very well for several years, but recently, I've been having problems. A few years ago, we even used an FM-group provided Roku to show Conference at another building, as our stake center wasn't available, and it worked very well.
eegull

Post by eegull »

We have been having the same experience here in Oregon with our Roku box. I'm glad to hear we're not the only ones.

The drop to blue screen seems to always be preceded by a drop to low resolution, so I wonder if this is a new strategy for dealing with congestion: drop the video but keep the audio. If so, it's better than nothing, but curious given that BYU TV doesn't appear to have any issues at all.

For this conference, looks like we'll just stick with BYU TV.
paulw

Post by paulw »

For the Saturday morning session, we tried the Mormon Channel on our Roku. It would drop the connection, connect us to the wrong video feed, and essentially flat out fail to work. I vaguely recall having similar problems for past conferences. We used BYUtv instead and it worked just great, though we were sad we couldn't watch the ASL video feed.
Hagothsen

Post by Hagothsen »

I showed all five sessions in our stake center, on a laptop, using YouTube. It was nearly flawless.
stephers4

Post by stephers4 »

I’m on BYUTV & kogged in w/ new device code etc but it’s NOT playing on my Stupid smart TV. It starts in 1 minute!! Also bummed to see that Music & Spoken word isn’t in line up
Plz help
Hagothsen

Post by Hagothsen »

During the first session, there was a brief break in the stream but it seemed like it was from the production, not the stream. Otherwise, the broadcast via YouTube was flawless.
mevans

Post by mevans »

stephers4 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:00 am I’m on BYUTV & kogged in w/ new device code etc but it’s NOT playing on my Stupid smart TV. It starts in 1 minute!! Also bummed to see that Music & Spoken word isn’t in line up
This thread is about Roku, but I've seen posts talking about other services, such as YouTube. Is your TV running Roku or something else? There are several operating systems for TVs.
We watched conference this morning on an ancient Roku device through the BYU TV channel and it worked fine.

Regarding Music and the Spoken WordL That is shown on Sunday mornings, 30 minutes before conference. I don't remember if BYU TV shows that or not. If you go to the official church channel on whatever device you have, you would definitely see Music and the Spoken Word before conference. (Recently, the BYU TV channel has worked better for us than the official church channel app, so we watch conference there.)

Return to “Broadcasts and Conferences”