Damaged hymn books

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
theclouds

Damaged hymn books

Post by theclouds »

We have a bunch of hymnals that are damaged. Anyone know if these get replaced or should we just buy new ones and dispose of these damaged ones? Should the wards in that building buy them through the agent bishop or does the stake have that responsibility?
davesudweeks

Re: Damaged hymn books

Post by davesudweeks »

When ours become too worn for usefulness, we usually put them on a table in the foyer with a "Free" sign and let families take them home for personal use. The agent bishop has his clerk (me) order more using budget funds and I invoice the other two wards in our building for 1/3 of the cost each (we do the same for sacrament cups and toner for the library copier) that goes back into our budget. I have never heard of the stake having that responsibility, but I have not served in a stake calling where I would be privy to that discussion.

The FM group provides hymnals for new buildings, as I understand, but I believe ongoing replacement for wear-out is the responsibility of the wards using them. The church used to offer a hymnal repair kit, but I think they discontinued that some years ago.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

I wouldn't spend too much money. I'm helping with a project that involves two members of the General Music Committee and they confirmed a large commitment of their resources are being spent on finalizing the new hymn book and children's hymn book. They won't give a timeframe, so I don't know how soon they will be finished and mass produced, but they will eventually reach us.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

Mikerowaved wrote:I wouldn't spend too much money. I'm helping with a project that involves two members of the General Music Committee and they confirmed a large commitment of their resources are being spent on finalizing the new hymn book and children's hymn book. They won't give a timeframe, so I don't know how soon they will be finished and mass produced, but they will eventually reach us.
I agree with this and have advised my bishop of the same. No use in purchasing more than we really need since once the new hymnal comes out the old ones will be given away/discarded. However, since we don't know when it will occur, we do need to keep up with the present need.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I wouldn't expect the new hymnbooks or songbooks that have been announced to be available for at least a year – likely two years. Members are still being invited to submit suggestions and original compositions, so they're still in the gathering / research stage. However, I do think it would be wise to figure out how many are actually needed, as mentioned above – make observations in your ward to see how many people use the physical book, vs. the Sacred Music or Gospel Library apps.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
jsorens6

Post by jsorens6 »

We have a member of the ward that buys some book binding glue and repairs them as needed. A small piece of service that she has offered to us.
workmanbc1

Post by workmanbc1 »

from what I understand from the FM group, no repaired hymn books are to be put in the Chapel. when repaired, they are to be given away to anyone who wants them. (My dad's family business was a printer, so I did a VERY good job repairing them, but they are not appropriate for the Chapel) I do wish we knew when the new ones will be available.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

workmanbc1 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:03 pm I do wish we knew when the new ones will be available.
Our chapels are full of repaired hymn books that are deemed to be appropriate for the chapel by our bishops and stake president. Our FM group has not given us any other specific instructions.

As for the new ones, this is my own personal opinion, but I expect that we are still quite a few years away from seeing them.
BenCall

Post by BenCall »

This article from the Church newsroom says new hymns start to roll out in the first half of 2024. Print copies will not be in place until some time in 2026.
https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... -worldwide

Return to “General Discussions”